Hull to Kings Cross trains in the 1970's - attaching/dividing at Doncaster

St.Paddy9001

During the mid-to late 1970's a couple of services from Hull to Kings Cross were attached to carriages from Leeds at Doncaster, going forward to the 'Cross together. The Hull portion was marshalled next to the train loco southbound but trailed the Leeds portion northbound from Kings Cross. My question is; which loco worked through to London from Doncaster, was it the loco from Leeds or from Hull?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

7 hours ago, St.Paddy9001 said:

During the mid-to late 1970's a couple of services from Hull to Kings Cross were attached to carriages from Leeds at Doncaster, going forward to the 'Cross together. The Hull portion was marshalled next to the train loco southbound but trailed the Leeds portion northbound from Kings Cross. My question is; which loco worked through to London from Doncaster, was it the loco from Leeds or from Hull?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

The loco from Leeds worked through to the Cross. The hull portion would arrive on Platform one normally, the loco would detach. The Leeds would arrive, on 4 (as it was then now 3) loco detach and shunt across to one attach and draw forward the back to the Leeds portion.  The down service would arrive in 5 the rear 4 coaches would de uncoupled, the Leeds departs and then a loco stabled by the north box would come and attach. 

Al Taylor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The most common locos to work the Hull portion were 31409 and 31410. It was very often one of them waiting just behind North Box. The loco from Kings Cross, usually a Class 47, then took the Leeds portion as Al says.

It was a fascinating thing to watch as a trainspotter in the mid 1970s. My recollection is that the carriages were shunted (southbound) with the passengers still on board. I certainly don't remember everybody getting off. Northbound, the Leeds portion would depart leaving the Hull section in the platform, so the Class 31 could just back down onto the carriages and depart without any shunting. 

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Slightly off topic, but a similar thing used to happen with the Halifax train, although a 55A Sulzer 2 was the locomotive rostered.

Mike.

Hello Mike

Thanks for this information. Do you know whether the Sulzer power continued on this train into 1977?

9 hours ago, St.Paddy9001 said:

Hello Mike

Thanks for this information. Do you know whether the Sulzer power continued on this train into 1977?

No by then it would have been one of Holbeck's 31/4s, 409,410 or 417.

Al Taylor.

19 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The most common locos to work the Hull portion were 31409 and 31410. It was very often one of them waiting just behind North Box. The loco from Kings Cross, usually a Class 47, then took the Leeds portion as Al says.

It was a fascinating thing to watch as a trainspotter in the mid 1970s. My recollection is that the carriages were shunted (southbound) with the passengers still on board. I certainly don't remember everybody getting off. Northbound, the Leeds portion would depart leaving the Hull section in the platform, so the Class 31 could just back down onto the carriages and depart without any shunting. 

Before the 31/4s, EE type3s and 4s, Peaks could work these services. The lunchtime working at one time was the loco off that mornings Garston/Trafford Park - Hull Freight liner which ran to Donny light engine.

Al Taylor

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 45125 said:

No by then it would have been one of Holbeck's 31/4s, 409,410 or 417.

Al Taylor.

Before the 31/4s, EE type3s and 4s, Peaks could work these services. The lunchtime working at one time was the loco off that mornings Garston/Trafford Park - Hull Freight liner which ran to Donny light engine.

Al Taylor

Thank you very much for your help.