Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DR5000 Connected To TrainController

les101975jud

I have a DR5000 working over a LAN connection through a dedicated router .  This is working fine.  The DR5000 can be switched on/off using the DR5000 Configuration App and I can also operate all the turnouts on the layout.

However, I want to operate the layout using TrainController Gold.  The hardware connection within TC has been set correctly as has the correction IP address for the router.  Within the DR5000 LAN settings I have tried the suggested Loconet protocols for both JMRI and iTrain etc but I do not know why TC is not mentioned.  When I fire up TC nothing happens.  There are no messages saying TC is experiencing hardware problems but nothing works.  I cannot switch the DR5000 power on/off using TC or operate any turnouts.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe that Herr Freiwald fell out with Digikeijs many years ago for some reason and hence you don’t see the DR5000 on the supported products list.

I don’t use TC9 preferring iTrain for cost and ease of use. iTrain will connect to a DR5000 using Loconet either as a serial or over network. I suggest that you try that protocol to gain access.

Edit - forgot to say you need to ensure that the DR5000 is also using Loconet on the network connection.

Edited by WIMorrison

Thank you Iain.  I have tried all the different protocols available under the LAN tab on the DR5000 Configuration app.  Nothing seems to work.  I am hoping someone on here who is using TC9 with a DR5000 might be able to walk me through the set up procedures.  Thank you for replying.  Regards Les

@les101975judAre you the same person asking in the Digikeijs mailing list about connecting to TC9 from a DR5000?

In that email, the person is trying to connect 2 different protocols with each other. If you use Loconet over the LAN on the DR5000 then you must use Loconet in TC, if you use Lenz Xpressnet on the DR5000 then you must use Lenz Xpressnet in TC, finally you can also use the Z21 protocol, but it must be the same in TC.

Iain

i am the same person.  And thank you for your help so far.

The problem I have is that I have no knowledge of these various protocols.  The DR5000 instructions (Page 36) for connecting via LAN to TC, advises the use of Lenz Digital Plus setting in TC .  I did as instructed and under the DR5000 LAN tab I used the suggested protocol for iTrain and Windigipet, (there is no mention of TC here) which is Loconet Binary.

What you suggested made complete sense to me.  So, this morning I tried changing the DCC System protocol within TC  to Loconet.  Them a drop down menu appeared asking me to allocate a port.  At that point I gave up as I have no knowledge of Ports.  And then I remembered seeing a video about DR5000 port settings. SoI looked into Device Manager and found no DR5000 port settings were available.  So, I concluded rightly or wrongly perhaps these are only allocated when the USB is connected.

I have been happily using TC with my old ESU 50200 system for years now.  So, I am really frustrated at being unable to get the DR5000 working with it.

Thank you once again for your most helpful comments.

regards Les

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

@les101975judAre you the same person asking in the Digikeijs mailing list about connecting to TC9 from a DR5000?

In that email, the person is trying to connect 2 different protocols with each other. If you use Loconet over the LAN on the DR5000 then you must use Loconet in TC, if you use Lenz Xpressnet on the DR5000 then you must use Lenz Xpressnet in TC, finally you can also use the Z21 protocol, but it must be the same in TC.

Hi Iain

Didn't we go through all this when I was using the DR5000?

I can't remember what the topic was called.

@les101975jud

There are 65535 TCP ports and these are effectively the door that the information has to get though. Some are 'Well Known' ports and only used for these protocols, e.g. Port 80 and 8080 for browsing the web with HTTP or 443 for HTTPS. 

The port used by Loconet is generally 5550, and I know that the Z21 protocol port is 21105.

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi Iain

Didn't we go through all this when I was using the DR5000?

I can't remember what the topic was called.

Keith, we did, but that was an awfully long time ago now and I can't recall what it was called either - no matter @les101975jud can hopefully make it connect now he has the port numbers

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

@melmerby Keith, is my memory correct that you used the Z21 protocol between the DR5000 and TC9?

That should be easier to setup because TC9 has Roco Z21 as an option, as does the DR5000, which should solve all the problems as TC9 will think it is talking to a Z21.

Iain, yes that sounds familiar.

I'll give it another try tomorrow, as I use a DR5000 for testing away from the Layout and there is a spare LAN socket on the router close by. (I normally use USB)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was probably the DR5000 settings left from when we were messing around before, as that's what was there when I went to LAN set up.

Just needed to tell TC what address to use and it connected straight away.

• Like 1

Iain/Keith

i thank you for your patience and help with my problem.

I switched my DR5000 on and could switch it on/off from my PC over the LAN to ensure the basic system worked.  It was fine.

Then I changed the DR5000 system protocol to Z21/WLANmaus as you have suggested.  The only difference being my IP address is 192.168.1.101.

I then changed the system setup on TC9 to Roco/Fleischman Z21, again as you have suggested.  Unfortunately, it does not work, even to switch the DR5000 on/off from TC9.

I have to go out now, but I am very grateful for your help on this.  Thank you again.

regards

Les

• RMweb Premium

If you set the DR5000 to this whilst connected to USB:

(substitute your own DR5000 address)

125861142_DR5000LAN2.JPG.08a3e495098f2eadd464a6977e032424.JPG

Then with this setting:

131285297_DR5000LAN1.JPG.e79cac650176e03df9486ff75de3ef3c.JPG

You can control ther DR5000 via LAN from the on screen DR5000.

Prove by disconnecting the the USB and operating the on screen on/off buttons

788928958_DR5000OnScreen.JPG.f07d8311f1a4ede509fd0e9590e1d67c.JPG

If that is correct just change the DR5000 protocol in the upper picture from Dr Command to Z21/WLANmaus and it should work with TrainController

Edited by melmerby

Keith

Thank you for your reply.

I followed your suggestion above to the letter, but it did not work for me.  My routers IP is set to 192.168.1.1. My PC has an IP address of 192.168.1.100 and the DR5000 192.168.1.101.

In order to eliminate any further problems I decided to uninstall/reinstall the DR5000 app to give me a factory reset with the latest firmware (1.6.3).  To connect via USB is awkward because of where the layout is.  I need to use the LAN so the PC is on a separate desk.

Using the DR5000 app (Dr.Command) over the USB is fine.  I can operate turnouts etc.  I then tried to set up the LAN connection again using Rudy Bohr’s DR5000 YouTube video.  But while it had been working, it is now no longer connected.  I set it up exactly as per the video but as soon as I remove the USB it reverts to “DEMO”.  Quite frankly I am mystified.

I have enjoyed using TC9 connected to an ESU ECoS for several years now with no problems at all.  However, I thought the more modern DR5000 would suit me going forward.  But I am tearing my hair out with it.  I am newc thinking the DR5000/TC9 combination is a lost cause for me in my situation.

How do you find using the Z21 with TC9?  Can you use LocoNet detectors with it?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards Les

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, les101975jud said:

I then tried to set up the LAN connection again using Rudy Bohr’s DR5000 YouTube video

All you have to do is set it as on my screenshots. (you could even try the address I have used!)

The only address you need to worry about is the DR5000, the others are irrelevant as long as they don't clash.

Are you sure the DR5000 address is unique and not clashing with some other PC related service?

The list of my currently connected devices shows that the modem takes 2 addresses:

LAN.JPG.fe3d604751fbc61cde610f4b53fcf114.JPG

The DR5000 will connect to practically anything and the only reason I don't use mine for TC is unrelated to connection issues.

Not only can you connect it to TC as a Z21, you can use the Roco WLAN Maus with it as well, which also thinks it's connected to a Z21.

I seem to remember that if you install the Z21 mobile app on your phone, you can use that as a throttle as well - maybe Iain could confirm?

When setting up, you really need to be (at first) connected to both USB & LAN to easily check what has been set is working as expected.

Can't you set up the DR5000 away from the layout (e.g. alongside the computer)?

Once LAN is set up the USB is no longer needed for normal operation.

I can confirm that if you set the DR5000 to Z21 Protocol you can connect via LAN to a PC with TC9/iTrain/JMRI/RocRail and also connect a Wi-Fi Multimaus or Z21 App to the DR5000 Wi-Fi using the DR5000 Wi-Fi address as the Z21 address. If you have connected the DR5000 and PC to a network that is also broadcasting Wi-Fi then you can connect through the LAN Wi-Fi using the DR5000 LAN address as the Z21 address.

• Thanks 1

IainKeith

Thank you for all your help on this.  I have ordered a longer USB cable which will enable me to keep the PC in its normal location and connect to the DR5000.  This will make it much easier to make changes etc.  I have to work for the next couple of days.  But when I get time I will have another go.  I will let you know how I get on.

Regards Les