Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pictures of Tony Reynolds models?

kitefighter

I expect many will have already seen this news story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-62742919

I've never seen Stanley Beeson model in person, but I recall his name being spoken of in the highest reverence.

I do remember seeing Tony Reynolds at the Guild O Gauge in 2009-2011 and was amazed at his models on display. Does anyone have any pictures of his work?

Thank you.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

so who was this Tony Reymolds for one of his locos to go for such a ridiculous price like 14K?

It was a James Stanley Beeson model that went for £14k. Somebody must have really wanted that Special tank, although that's probably not far off how much it would cost to make a mode like that if you cost up the several hundred hours of work that went in to it multiplied by a decent hourly rate for a highly skilled man plus overheads. 

https://vintagehornby.net/beeson-models/

• RMweb Premium

Tony Reynolds is still very much with us. I have been lucky enough to meet him and see some of his work "in the flesh".

We are talking top quality, museum quality models of the highest order. There is a market for those sorts of models at those sorts of prices and of course any model is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. I was once told how much a Tony Reynolds loco would cost to have built as a commission and it was more than the prices the Beeson locos went for. When he builds no more than perhaps a couple a year from scratch to those standards, it is not a ridiculous amount at all.

I mentioned the Beeson locos (and the prices) to a friend today and we discussed the fact that something like the LNWR "Minerva" Prince of Wales went for a price that is not far off what some RTR models in O gauge are sold for, so it certainly wasn't a "silly" price. I was a bit surprised that the tank loco went for quite so much but all you need at an auction is two people with deep pockets who really want something badly and that can happen.

In some ways, it is like buying a painting by a famous artist. You pay for the name. Owning a Reynolds or a Beeson is the model railway equivalent of having an original Rembrandt!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Prett

4 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Possibly the covers of MRJ 108 and 110. I don’t have these so maybe someone will be able to check. 

Definitely 70 and 73. There's also one about a series of Castles he built but i obviously missed it and couldnt be bothered to go through them a 2nd time!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Owning a Reynolds or a Beeson is the model railway equivalent of having an original Rembrandt!

Presumably owning an Alan Brackenborough painted and Martyn Welch weathered Tony Reynalds is akin to having the Sistine chapel in the downstairs loo?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I believe it’s Tony Reynalds, not Reynolds.

When I was a junior member of Mike Cook’s South Devon group, about 120 years ago, Mike bought a 4mm scale GWR 1361 saddle tank from Tony Reynalds for “Totnes”. It was a thing of exquisite beauty.

RichardT 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, RichardT said:

I believe it’s Tony Reynalds, not Reynolds.

When I was a junior member of Mike Cook’s South Devon group, about 120 years ago, Mike bought a 4mm scale GWR 1361 saddle tank from Tony Reynalds for “Totnes”. It was a thing of exquisite beauty.

RichardT 

You are quite right. He is Reynalds, not Reynolds. I thought it was that but I was lazy and just copied the OP instead of checking.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Presumably owning an Alan Brackenborough painted and Martyn Welch weathered Tony Reynolds is akin to having the Sistine chapel in the downstairs loo?

Having been lucky enough to see that sort of work close up (maybe even that exact combination), I would say yes, it probably is!

I find such modelling inspiring and even though I know I will never quite reach those heights, it makes me want to try that little bit harder.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sir douglas said:

so who was this Tony Reymolds for one of his locos to go for such a ridiculous price like 14K?

You mean Tony Reynaulds.

Well if you look at a bill from, say, a plumber - who might charge you £30.00+ an hour labour and then multiply that by [guessing] 1,000-1,200 hours then you will begin to see that £14k is quite a good price in fact. I suspect builders like this might be working for well under £20 per hour and this is - no disrespect to any plumbers who might be reading - skill at a whole new level.

If you'd have read the link thoroughly you would have seen that the £14k figure actually related to a Stan Beeson loco.

Stan Beeson lived in Hangersley, near Ringwood, Hampshire - about five miles from where I grew up. We would see him driving around in his period cars which were his hobby. Much later, in 1974 I attended a lecture he gave to the Bournemouth Railway Society. He brought along several locomotives he was working on in various stages of completion, but the one that stuck in my mind was a GWR Collet tender for a King class. The tender sides etc. had still to be added but he had built a working water scoop that would take your breath away and all of the internal structure of the water tank on the tender, complete with full rivet detail. I recall him saying that it would never be seen again, but he knew it was in there and so did the customer. He also said that the best way of getting to know anything is to build a scale model of it.

Later, I built many coaches for Colonel Ronnie Hoare, who could be quite fearsome - but that made you drive up your standards. Col. Hoare had a collection of Beeson locos and I was quite proud that one of my rakes of coaches got to be hauled by one of his locomotives. Seems incredible now that he sold me two axles of Beeson Duchess bogie wheels for only £9.00! They were so beautifully engineered that you could spin the wheels on the threaded axles and they would always end up with the nine spokes on both wheels exactly in line. Worth the money just to do that! Wish I hadn't sold them.

Beeson was an interesting man to be sure, though he did spend too long a part of that lecture concentrating on his pet hate - which was Oliver Vaughan Snell Bulleid and all of his works! And in that regard only, I couldn't have disagreed with him more!

David Parkins

www.djparkins.com

Edited by djparkins
edit
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

You are quite right. He is Reynalds, not Reynolds. I thought it was that but I was lazy and just copied the OP instead of checking.

Not to worry! Getting names correct is important but I also posted that because it helps anyone searching the forums in future using key words.

EDIT  Just seen David Parkin's post above.  I think we've got all the search bases covered now...

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Adding comment

44 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Not to worry! Getting names correct is important but I also posted that because it helps anyone searching the forums in future using key words.

EDIT  Just seen David Parkin's post above.  I think we've got all the search bases covered now...

Richard

Indeed!

David ParkinS!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I will put this link here, as there are lots of photos of rather nice O gauge models on view. Many of the captions don't say who the builder is but there are some where the name Tony Reynalds appears.

It is worth looking through the photos as there are some really stunning models on there.

https://www.buckshillmodelrailwayin7mm.com/

Enjoy!

• Agree 1