RMweb

Spa Valley Railway Model Railway Weekend Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th September 2022

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium

Spa Valley Model Railway Weekend Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th September 2022in the engine shed at Tunbridge Wells West and at other stations along the line.

Tickets include unlimited travel on the railway and entry to the model railway exhibition, with nearly 30 layouts on show.

The Basingstoke Bodgers' Great Model Railway Challenge heat winner "Santa's Globetrotting Vacation" will be there, and it will the last opportunity to see it in action as it will be sold (hopefully) or broken up afterwards. Any sensible offer could be accepted, lock, stock and bubbles.

Santa's Globetrotting Vacation 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to this event and I will be bringing my 'On The Rails' stall with handmade fabrics, our popular train socks, ceramics, mugs and more!

We have been to the Spa Valley Rly a lot in the past month and the volunteers at Groombridge and TWW are extremely helpful, and we are very grateful for their hospitality. 

Christmas Directory.png

I visited on Saturday, my first time visiting the Spa Valley Railway since 2011 when I went on a evening Fish & Chip Supper with my club.

The exhibition had some pretty good layouts, including a number of Lego ones, where the locomotives are recognisable to actual prototypes. On one of them they had a Class 419 MLV in Jaffa Cake livery. One exhibit that interested me and my brother was a collection of models from the Thomas & Friends series (part of our childhood that programme).

Most of the exhibits were based in the engine shed at Tunbridge Wells West and this did get uncomfortably crowded by lunchtime. There were a few other exhibits on Groombridge and Eridge stations. Motive power was provided by the Hunslet Austerity Douglas (which was converted into a tender engine), Class 73 No. 73140, and a two-car Class 207 Thumper. They also have a MK1 carriage which is painted in blue and grey on one side and green on the other.

My only problem with the railway was that some of the staff did not appear that savvy with the technology in the station shop and the ticket office.

DSC_0923.JPG

A great weekend overall from my end and it seemed busier than last year's event! I was expecting there to be quiet times between trains but certainly on my layout there was someone always wanting to talk about it, which was encouraging. 

During my short breaks, I had chance to dart round and take a look at some of the other layouts on show which has resulted in this video:

Enjoy 😃

• Like 2