Code 75 rail profile drawing.

The rail used on baulk road was basically a flat section bent to appear to have a  rail on top and best modelled (IMHO) using 75 thou. square section nickel silver soldered to flat strip.

There are still odd bits dotted around the West country serving as fence posts.

It is not really like either flat bottom or bullhead.

Trust Brunel to be different!

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

The rail used on baulk road was basically a flat section bent to appear to have a  rail on top and best modelled (IMHO) using 75 thou. square section nickel silver soldered to flat strip.

There are still odd bits dotted around the West country serving as fence posts.

It is not really like either flat bottom or bullhead.

Trust Brunel to be different!

I understand what bridge rail looks like, the Broad Bauge society sell it, but it does not have bolt detail, also being wider than high tents to bend up and down rather than side to side. My idea is to use bullhead rail on copperclad get it working, then use 3D printed half bulks that glue either side to give the appearance of bulks, rail bottom flange and timber packing. 

838f6bf6-f0f7-4549-b674-945e8f316992.PNG

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's an excellent idea!

Might it be possible to use flat bottom rail (possibly even code 100), as it would be hidden by the half-baulks?

Probably it would be easier and/or cheaper to obtain.

My experience with soldered track is that a bit of clearance at the base of the rail might be an advantage (or is that just my incompetence?).

I'll have to dig out my copy of 'Track Topics' (the reprint unfortunately) and see if it has anything to say. I was thinking of a section of baulk road in a siding of my GWR station. (On hold at the moment - summer is long and hot this year in Sardinia (27.5ºC indoors at the moment) and the layout is in the loft!)