Desire or lack of for 7mm 2nd Generation DMU's

brynna79

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Bryn, not sure if you have seen Chris Turnbull’s Cromer layout, he has a few scratch built 2nd Feb items on there, may be an inspiration to have a go at building yourself something ? 

Best regards

Craig 

Hi Craig, 

Thanks for the reply - yes, had seen Cromer Road and it is what made me consider the lack of 2nd Gen locos.  I am not sure I would have the skill or patience to build such units from scratch, but then again, I guess until I do, who knows!  I need to carry on with the thankless task of selling what I won't use in HO (believe me, I am bored already and haven't gotten to the fiddly stuff yet!).  But Looking forward to the new start.  I actually am mulling over a Sectorization/initial privatization setting, will allow me to run the new 66's, but also some of the more available units and wagons and will better suit the limited size/space that I have. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the time you have taken to expand my knowledge and for putting opinions across.  There is clearly more than one school of thought with the scale, as there is with all other parts of the hobby and differing scales.  I can see that detailing and scratch building/kit building are big at this scale and that the use of metal does provide for more fidelity.  I think I'll start with RTR and see how I progress from there, especially as my daughter approaches 2 and time perhaps is easier to find. 

The main reason for starting this discussion was to see why and if there may be something on the horizon, as buying a DMU as a impulse purchase is not really as forgiving in the smaller scales (or as forgiving as it used to be a few years back!)

Cheers all. 

Bryn

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2022 at 18:01, D6775 said:

Now, where to go with this............

Modern Image, yes does seem to cover everything from c1968 (in my mind) to the present day. Maybe it should be the 'Deisel and Electric Era' as I see pre 68' as 'Steam Era'. If you want to go truly Modern then a 66 is c25 years old and an even older design. 68's 88's and 195 units etc. Anyway, that's buy the buy and not something to get into here!

2nd Gen DMU's. Yes, they seem to have been overlooked so far. I suspect the main manufacturers will wait and see how Dapols 66 fairs, I have heard rumour that something is in the pipeline, but no idea what or from who. I have a Peter Clark 156 and it looks good, I just need to build it! Some of Peters other kits look good, but as has been said you do need some skill to build them! I would be interested to hear/see more of your potential 2nd gen kits @djparkins

Lastly, as I am part of the core group at MIOG, the FB page is a great place to ask for info and a sharing of minds. I will be at the Stafford MRC show in a couple of weeks time with our 'Roadshow' set up for our exhibition next year. So if anyone wants a chat please stop by, I'll be up in the balcony somewhere! There are also build guides for a number of kits on the website, both reviews and Workbench bits and bobs. 

MIOG Website

Lastly there is a kit/rtr list I put together a while back on the website, but it does need updating. @djparkins I am not sure what you have available these days but if there is anything you want adding to this list please drop me a line and I'll tweak it up. I am trying to keep it to TOPs coded rollingstock.

MIOG Rolling Stock List.

Thanks for that, have started to take a look at the various discussions on the group. Everything I am seeing, is right up my street. Cheers Bryn

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brynna79 said:

The main reason for starting this discussion was to see why and if there may be something on the horizon, as buying a DMU as a impulse purchase is not really as forgiving in the smaller scales (or as forgiving as it used to be a few years back!)

I've never had any problem getting my money back selling on, so its not actually that risky. In fact the value of second hand kits has comfortably outstripped inflation so i regard my (ludicrous) stash as an investment that would only be losing money in the bank.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I've never had any problem getting my money back selling on, so its not actually that risky. In fact the value of second hand kits has comfortably outstripped inflation so i regard my (ludicrous) stash as an investment that would only be losing money in the bank.

worth noting.  I am seriously tempted by the Peter Clark 150 kits. In my mind I would love to do a First Great Western DMU setting with a pair of these (150/1 and 2), plus the 158, then have the rest as diesel loco workings.  

Does anyone have any pictures of what the kits look like and what progress has been undertaken on these.  

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Yes, those kits look something special and the 150/1 and 2 kits really have my attention.  I have had some reasonable success with buildings etc... when painting, but I guess when something costs as much as this, you think twice a little bit - until you get used to it.  I think a start with the 150/2 kit is worth trying, just need to learn how to bend and solder metal effectively.  I think the plain purple of FGW would be much easier than say the EMT or Norther livery and something to try initially. 

I'm guessing that a single powered bogie may not be as reliable as two, given that is an option, although these things only pull themselves around! 

I've just committed to a swap for some HO to a O Gauge 50. So the slippery slope has commenced you could say!  

As anyone done these builds where photos are available, there are a few excellent threads on here, but no pictures as we all know! 

Cheers 

Bryn

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

I've had this class 142 in the too do pile for quite a bit now having bought it off ebay, not sure if it's a Post War Prototype or MMP but the bodies are one piece resin mouldings and very good quality. 

Rob 

IMG20220912210621.jpg

That looks very nice. Did the kit just come with Resin Shells?

3 hours ago, brynna79 said:

That looks very nice. Did the kit just come with Resin Shells?

No it's complete, Interiors, chassis have already been done but nothing started on the two bodyshells,possibly quite rare as I've never seen another like this. If I've got it correct, this kit is now sold by PRMRP but the bodyshells are now brass with white metal ends.

Rob 

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 15:34, brynna79 said:

I'm guessing that a single powered bogie may not be as reliable as two, given that is an option, although these things only pull themselves around! 

I use one powered bogie for my single and two-car units (classes 153, 150/2 and 156) and two powered bogies for my three-car class 170/2s.  I find this more than adequate provided you don't fill the carriages with white-metal passengers...

Chris Turnbull

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we have all shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of new products. Please dont delete this Mods. The great PW gave up on new products because as fast as he pumped money into kits someone copied them. I know for a fact DJP wont do anything unless it gives good return (Why should he ). We have all got lazy. All we seem to get now are upgraded repeats apart from a few odd new things. Everyone is moaning about prices use your brains and get your tools out. It's a no brainer guys. 

Edited by markjj
Missed text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I use one powered bogie for my single and two-car units (classes 153, 150/2 and 156) and two powered bogies for my three-car class 170/2s.  I find this more than adequate provided you don't fill the carriages with white-metal passengers...

Chris Turnbull

Thanks Chris, 

Must admit to be very impressed of your work as well. But that makes decisions around cost for the 2 car DMU's easier as well.  The layout won't be more than 4.5m over a L shape, so slow running for now, is all they will ever see... 

18 hours ago, markjj said:

I think we have all shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of new products. Please dont delete this Mods. The great PW gave up on new products because as fast as he pumped money into kits someone copied them. I know for a fact DJP wont do anything unless it gives good return (Why should he ). We have all got lazy. All we seem to get now are upgraded repeats apart from a few odd new things. Everyone is moaning about prices use your brains and get your tools out. It's a no brainer guys. 

Hello Mark

Lazy might be not an extreme enough word in my case!

But seriously back when the 142/143 Pacer kits came out you didn't have to think about RTR because there was none!  That is really the consideration now. Not other kits. It is my belief that the flow of RTR from China will slow, as I've already said on this thread. Some here disagree, but if you heard the news yesterday then you might have gotten a steer on why it might very easily get harder in the future. I'm mindful of the no politics rule, so will go no further.

I'm committed to kits and bringing them out, but only at my own pace, and in balance with the other things I want to do in life. If they come out - great. If they don't then that is fine too [well for me anyway!]. It is true that model companies are not charities and should make a profit [I feel it is unhealthy if they do not seek to do this]. No one wants to see model companies in it just to feed their own egos. For myself I don't want to be greedy, but I do want a fair return on my investment of time and money. I know I'll get that within the first month on almost any military or ship item.

Finally may I say how much I admire what Chris Turnbull has done. He wanted what was not readily available but got on and built those dmus anyway! He may have still elected to scratchbuild them even if there had been kits available but whatever - he did it. That is modelling.

Best to all.

David Parkins

Modern Motive Power/ABS 7mm etc.

www.djparkins.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd have a hard time scratchbuilding one of those, and I do it for a living! However, someone could draw up sides to etch in brass and take a massive amount of the difficulty out of the equation?