Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol brake van modifications

Andrew1974

Hi All,

I’m planning on converting my Dapol brake van to a ZTO as shown in this picture on Paul Bartlett’s website (https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504/h1acd4589).  

The basic features seem OK, (it appears to have the right axle boxes for example) but the veranda ends on the prototype are sheeting rather than planked as on the model.

Has anyone changed the model to a sheeted end and if so what method or approach can you recommend?  Failing any better suggestions I think I will need to carefully drill/ cut out the planking as simply sheeting over will not look right on the highly visible internal side.

6923837E-78E4-4EA1-B773-6F84B8B3F46B.jpeg.19500580b21666fbf0f76e04733b963c.jpeg44BDB12F-30A0-4E13-B447-E7C353627923.jpeg.a363fd7498a252f74373cc78cd66956e.jpeg

Many thanks.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew1974
  • Like 1

As i remember the majority of the ends that were sheeted were actually sheeted over the top of the original planks (and I also remember that many, if not most were actually thin steel plate)  including i think the picture youve linked to?  So you would be OK putting some plasticard over the top, though I would suggest filling the gaps between the planks first if you are using very thin plasticard. Something I was considering doing to one of mine but I didn't bother in the end 

• Thanks 1

Hi 101, 

That was my first thought, but if the look at the far varanda on the photo linked to on the OP then it looks ( to me at least) that in this instance the planks were removed.

I might ‘cheat’ and pretend they weren’t…suspect it will make life easier!

Sorry you're correct that one does appear to have had the planks removed. That would be difficult to replicate as although you could cut out the planks it would be hard to find anything that was strong enough to plate over the hole without being too thick.

You could maybe cut out the planks, put a thick (40  thou ?) Piece of plasticard in the hole before putting a thinner sheet on the outside?

Or maybe just a thin piece of plasticard 'plate' each side?

There were many different ways of patching brake vans up - some just had a boarded repair covering the bottom half or so of the planks - the bottoms rotted out- I think whichever way you choose will be okay.

• RMweb Gold

It would be easy enough to cut out the Planked area but not a quick job.

If you gently chain drilled holes you could remove most of the plastic. A bit of time with a good Sharp flat needle file would cure the rest. To cover the hole I would suggest a thin sheet or either brass or nickel silver with the rivet detail either punched in or better still use tiny brass rivets which would add a tiny bit more strength to it. Supeglue would hold the plate on and keep everything strong and rigid.

I wouldn't worry about whether you have to sheet it over. Not worth the hassle of removing planks. It will look fine and you can get really thin plastic card and emboss a few tiny rivets onto it. This is the way I work. Doesn't matter if you make a few mistakes on one, as you can make another easily. Glue on with super glue.