O gauge inglenook

Hi All,

I’ve built a few wagon kits over the last 30 years but I’ve finally decided to build a small O gauge layout.

I’ve built the baseboard which is the somewhat diminutive size of 5’6” x 2’.

The plan is to have a 2-2-3 inglenook on a lower level with a single line on a higher level (which will be at the top of the picture) representing one platform at the edge of a larger station.

Low level track laid, but not yet wired. I’ve also added an extra, off scene siding for storing a couple of extra wagons.  

In the picture below only the right hand end will be scenic with the sector plate off scene.

4F96BB8D-0152-44BE-AD7E-0EAAEE310ABF.jpeg.dd96d8cb2c3b3a3318372b0d66d9d0dc.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

You may need to be a tad careful with the rolling stock you choose/use as many vans (and the brake van in the picture) are longer than a lot of open wagons which can limit the number of vehicles in each siding if you plan to use it as a conventional 2, 2, 3 shunting puzzle.

Its not clear from the picture if you can get a third vehicle on the two shorter sidings and still access the other short siding.

I built a different type of shunting puzzle - it used 20+ wagons. I had great fun with it but I nearly lost a few of my friends when I got them to try their hand at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray, Thanks for your comment.

You can actually fit 3 VEA vans (just) on the shorter siding, that only needs to take 2 wagons,  so I’m hoping it will cope quite well with slightly longer vehicles although will be some that won’t work…but that’s OK with me.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. As @Ray Hsays, brake vans tend to be considerably larger than 4 wheel open wagons - but if you plan for that, then you should be OK. On my 7mm minimum space (ha ha) "Poynton Sneer" - a rarely ran a brakevan. I occasionally just parked it in one of the sidings and left it there.... perhaps when manually swapping wagons over in the fiddle / sector plate area.

Will the high level line be operational? (maybe a shuttle?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andrew1974 said:

That’s the plan. Maybe a class 121/122 unit, an 08 dropping off/picking up a parcels van or something like that.

I thought that may have been the intention. IMO, this can add lots of interest, and something different to the rest of the operations.
Best of luck with it - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress

• Thanks 1