Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

O gauge inglenook

Hi All,

I’ve built a few wagon kits over the last 30 years but I’ve finally decided to build a small O gauge layout.

I’ve built the baseboard which is the somewhat diminutive size of 5’6” x 2’.

The plan is to have a 2-2-3 inglenook on a lower level with a single line on a higher level (which will be at the top of the picture) representing one platform at the edge of a larger station.

Low level track laid, but not yet wired. I’ve also added an extra, off scene siding for storing a couple of extra wagons.  

In the picture below only the right hand end will be scenic with the sector plate off scene.

4F96BB8D-0152-44BE-AD7E-0EAAEE310ABF.jpeg.dd96d8cb2c3b3a3318372b0d66d9d0dc.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

You may need to be a tad careful with the rolling stock you choose/use as many vans (and the brake van in the picture) are longer than a lot of open wagons which can limit the number of vehicles in each siding if you plan to use it as a conventional 2, 2, 3 shunting puzzle.

Its not clear from the picture if you can get a third vehicle on the two shorter sidings and still access the other short siding.

I built a different type of shunting puzzle - it used 20+ wagons. I had great fun with it but I nearly lost a few of my friends when I got them to try their hand at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray, Thanks for your comment.

You can actually fit 3 VEA vans (just) on the shorter siding, that only needs to take 2 wagons,  so I’m hoping it will cope quite well with slightly longer vehicles although will be some that won’t work…but that’s OK with me.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. As @Ray Hsays, brake vans tend to be considerably larger than 4 wheel open wagons - but if you plan for that, then you should be OK. On my 7mm minimum space (ha ha) "Poynton Sneer" - a rarely ran a brakevan. I occasionally just parked it in one of the sidings and left it there.... perhaps when manually swapping wagons over in the fiddle / sector plate area.

Will the high level line be operational? (maybe a shuttle?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andrew1974 said:

That’s the plan. Maybe a class 121/122 unit, an 08 dropping off/picking up a parcels van or something like that.

I thought that may have been the intention. IMO, this can add lots of interest, and something different to the rest of the operations.
Best of luck with it - I'm looking forward to seeing it progress

• Thanks 1