Bachmann Standard Class 5

rembrow

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Your observations will be interesting.

Not here yet and no operations next week or the week after, so it'll be a while!

I'm hoping it'll run a bit faster than earlier examples because those often seem uncomfortable double heading with models of other classes. (Non-DCC user so I can't tweak that).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Dunsignalling said:

Not here yet and no operations next week or the week after, so it'll be a while!

I'm hoping it'll run a bit faster than earlier examples because those often seem uncomfortable double heading with models of other classes.

John

With the earlier examples,performance was a problem as I recall,so if I succumb,as I probably will,it will require a lengthy period of running in. We shall see.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

With the earlier examples,performance was a problem as I recall,so if I succumb,as I probably will,it will require a lengthy period of running in. We shall see.

Lengthy running-in has been a given with mine too, fortunately achieved by owning a good rolling road and having access to a couple of big "roundy-roundies".

I find Bachmann locos in general improve greatly with months rather than weeks of use, but the 5MT has always seemed particularly "needy" in that respect, despite the specification being much the same as others. 

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2022 at 10:52, Dunsignalling said:

Lengthy running-in has been a given with mine too, fortunately achieved by owning a good rolling road and having access to a couple of big "roundy-roundies".

I find Bachmann locos in general improve greatly with months rather than weeks of use, but the 5MT has always seemed particularly "needy" in that respect, despite the specification being much the same as others. 

John

Mine arrived this morning.And was duly given a 3 hour running in before commencing “duties”. I’m pleased that there are no difficulties with respect to running quality. It’s a vast improvement on the first batch…which of course is as it should be after 20 or so years since it first appeared. At the moment it is hitched to my 5 coach Set847 with which it is completely at ease through all settings (dc) .The set is of course a mismatch as 73118 didn’t carry a name until post c&c.The name incidentally is nicely rendered.But there is no etched plate included.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today also, but I won't get chance to run it other than on the rolling road for a week or two. 

First impressions are very good, excellent finish, finer wheels than before, and modern additions like NEM coupling mounts and DCC socket.

Looks worth the wait.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

After a week in service it performs beautifully. Very well pleased.

I haven't yet managed to get mine on a layout, but it's behaviour on my rolling road suggests a significant improvement over earlier incarnations.

Hopefully it'll be getting a run out on Bournemouth Central this Sunday along with some new Bulleid coaches. 

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of Southern Region standards...

I see Bachmann haven't given 73118 the additional Southern lamp irons on the smokebox door -- they might have done so given their newer standards tend to feature this detail (3MT / 76xxx 4MT).

More the reason for my post -- the latest Southern-allocated 4MT mogul has arrived in the shape of 76066 and it features possibly the strangest error I've seen on a model -- namely a smokebox plate which reads '76O66' as if someone specified the number over the phone, "seven-six-oh-six-six"! Easy fix with an etched replacement but a quirky thing I couldn't help sharing. On the plus side, it does come with the extra irons! Edit -- turns out this 'O' instead of '0' was prototypical. How bizarre. Photo: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=190819&search=76066

Well done Bachmann and a lesson for me to do my research.

It's also weathered, though not listed as such with all the vendors currently stocking it -- Bachmann seem to have gone for more of a matt and soot-heavy effect on this than the feared 'mud spray' sometimes seen from the rtr manufacturers. It looks rather good though variable in different lights (compare e.g. the KMRC website photos and the Olivia's ones; other outlets available...)

Tempted to pick one up subject to viewing in person.

Edited by Calidore
  • Informative/Useful 1