Bachmann Standard Class 5

rembrow

I've opened a new thread as I was unable to find an existing thread for the Standard Class 5. I was interested in getting a BR green liveried version, however the recent release from Bachmann, is factory weathered. I did an ebay search and found one from the 2012 release, described by a reputable trader, as unused. What was interesting, it is  described as from the Pat Hammond reference collection, with a box sticker to confirm. I hadn't realised that items from the collection of this well respected toy collector and author (Ramsey's guide etc) had been sold on.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I've opened a new thread as I was unable to find an existing thread for the Standard Class 5. I was interested in getting a BR green liveried version, however the recent release from Bachmann, is factory weathered. I did an ebay search and found one from the 2012 release, described by a reputable trader, as unused. What was interesting, it is  described as from the Pat Hammond reference collection, with a box sticker to confirm. I hadn't realised that items from the collection of this well respected toy collector and author (Ramsey's guide etc) had been sold on.

Sells a lot on eBay  - look for MRETim

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, rembrow said:

That was the seller. I bought the loco as it seems to be in pristine condition and represents a loco that worked on the S&D and Bristol.

Bachmann seemed to like S&D locos … another green Standard 5 , 73068 (32-500) was initially a Derby loco but then at Gloucester, Barrow Road and Bath from 1957 until withdrawn in 1965

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done for starting this thread. Useful.

For your info the Bachman Spares section includes loads of Class 5 parts, should you fancy them or need any. 

This model is competitive in popularity on EBay and I'm chasing a 73082 but reluctant to pay huge amounts until I submit to temptation!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Bachmann seemed to like S&D locos … another green Standard 5 , 73068 (32-500) was initially a Derby loco but then at Gloucester, Barrow Road and Bath from 1957 until withdrawn in 1965

In my world it was purloined at Templecombe to continue West with the ex Cleethorpes, through Seaton Junction in 1960/1/2, as the booked U Class was duff!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

In my world it was purloined at Templecombe to continue West with the ex Cleethorpes, through Seaton Junction in 1960/1/2, as the booked U Class was duff!

P

Sent you a PM @Mallard60022Phil

T’other Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

On the other hand,you might consider a 70A 5MT with large capacity tender ( 73110 etc ).These were common on Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter workings from the mid 1950’s on and the retooled 73118 should be somewhere in the firmament ,though at a premium price.Bath SDJR held its Standard 5’s in high esteem . Somewhere I have a green 73049 I think.. Speaking of the Cleethorpes,wasn’t that a famed 7F turn from/to Templecombe ?

Edit:  By “retooled” I mean of course returned to factory for correction of tender design and not a totally new version.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding explanatory text
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

On the other hand,you might consider a 70A 5MT with large capacity tender ( 73110 etc ).These were common on Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter workings from the mid 1950’s on and the retooled 73118 should be somewhere in the firmament ,though at a premium price.Bath SDJR held its Standard 5’s in high esteem . Somewhere I have a green 73049 I think.. Speaking of the Cleethorpes,wasn’t that a famed 7F turn from/to Templecombe ?

A most handsome model. One I couldn’t resist; I have a soft spot for BR Standards.

73049.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A most handsome model. One I couldn’t resist; I have a soft spot for BR Standards.

73049.jpg

Nice model the Bachmann Std 5 - good photo. Like all Hornby models and most Bachmann it can be quickly and easily enhanced with the replacement of the supplied bogie wheels with the Gibson equivalent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

73049.jpg

That does indeed look lovely, although no doubt someone will be along in a minute to tell us all its flaws. I have The Red Knight in black somewhere. I fancy 73014, which must have startled its LMR owners when it reappeared after an Eastleigh GO - in BR green. 73089, Maid of Astolat, was the first BR Standard I was aware of, at Clapham Junction one Saturday afternoon in 1960.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2022 at 22:03, Ian Hargrave said:

Edit:  By “retooled” I mean of course returned to factory for correction of tender design and not a totally new version.

Cleethorpes 7F...yes. 10 Coach max, Pilot if more. Most I have observed from pics was 12

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2022 at 22:03, Ian Hargrave said:

Oh yes! However my St5 workings will mostly be Fully Fitted perishables eastbound from Exeter and then additional passenger work in '64.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Were the standard 5s that operated the Waterloo to west of England services, with large capacity tenders, only the King Arthur named locos, after receiving names from the withdrawn King Arthurs.

Almost exclusively, but many of the 73110 bunch were 'moved' east in 63/4, and elsewhere and the 73080 gang held in there till '65. Later, some transferred 5s from all over the place turned up in the West; I think 73156 was one? Late '65 there was the last through Brightons from Plymouth and I believe they worked throughout, but happy to be corrected. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The first named Standard 5MT’s  73080-89 went to the Eastern section ( Stewart’s Lane then 73A ,the kingdom for a while of the late Dick Hardy.) in the mid 1950’s mainly for Kent Coast workings from Victoria etc. . The Western section examples worked alongside the aged Arthurs for a while,until they were eventually withdrawn. 
 I have an abiding memory of seeing 30453 …Arthur himself….charging through Yeovil Junction,shrill whistle sounding  on an up West Of England Waterloo express in August 1958 whilst waiting for my train taking me on a spotting trip to Salisbury. That arrived shortly,hauled by airsmoothed 35003 Royal Mail. During that day,I “copped” 73117,73110,Arthur 30773 and the very first of the defrocked MN 35018 British India Line. Curiously,my return journey to Yeovil Junction was again 35003 making her way back to Exeter and her home Exmouth Junction.

My aunt,with whom we were staying for a while,couldn’t comprehend my obsession with trains and suggested seriously to my father that he should seek psychiatric help for me. I’m not there yet.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It might be worth mentioning that, whilst the Standard 5s took the names of the King Arthurs, they didn’t take the nameplates. The nameplates of the King Arthurs had “King Arthur Class” under the names so new plates had to be cast for the 5s.

Yes. I bought a set of etched nameplates* for 73080 Merlin and found they incorrectly had the "King Arthur Class" on the bottom....

https://www.anistr.com/media/814d8ca9-7da4-4779-8a96-1ad033a44fed-steam-loco-nameplate-73080-merlin

They'll end up on a N15 instead. I'll use the BR smokebox numberplate on a 5MT depicting it before naming, so no loss. I already have the models.

Merlin was the name of an ex-girlfriend's cat so does have a bit of sentimental value. 😺

*PC Models, so quite old. They do look good quality though, but I reckon I'll mess them up if I do too much trimming.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2022 at 13:22, rembrow said:

Were the standard 5s that operated the Waterloo to west of England services, with large capacity tenders, only the King Arthur named locos, after receiving names from the withdrawn King Arthurs.

73080 to 73089 went new to Stewarts Lane (Eastern Section) in 1955 but had all been transferred to Nine Elms (Western Section) by 1959. 73110 to 73119 went new to Nine Elms in 1955. They all received their names at various times between 1959 & 1962. None of them were named whilst working on the Eastern Section. I managed to see all 20 between 1963 & 1966.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Slightly off topic but 73082 is joined with 73156 at the Bluebell in 2 weeks.

not sure I can recall a pair of standard fives together in preservation unless 73129 met 73050 or 096 at some point ?

We are lucky to have the survivors…. Cashmores carved up a significant proportion of the class

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2022 at 18:15, Dunsignalling said:

Just been invoiced by Kernow models for my "King Leodegrance" - almost certainly my longest-outstanding pre-order. Running in session pencilled in for Sunday if it arrives in time.

John

Your observations will be interesting.