Judging scale.

ianp

I am considering incorporating a French, half-relief, card model of Monet's* house into a layout set in France. The commercially produced model does not  appear to state what scale it is. How could  I calculate that for myself if I do not know the size of the original building?

* The famous Impressionist painter.

• RMweb Premium

You need to find something on the kit that is easy to measure in the real world, bricks tend to be one than cane be easily measured. 

Do you have a link to the kit, it might be easier to see what the kit is like.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, uax6 said:

You need to find something on the kit that is easy to measure in the real world, bricks tend to be one than cane be easily measured. 

Do you have a link to the kit, it might be easier to see what the kit is like.

Andy G

Good idea. Thanks 

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the height of a door in France but in UK they are generally 6ft 6in (Approx 1.9m). My suggestion is that unless the building has a door that looks way different from that standard the finished kit will not look madly out of proportion if it is scaled to around two metres height in whatever scale you are modelling in. If you can find a photo of the building on-line with a person close to the door that will also give a good guide to how average the door is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, ianp said:

I am considering incorporating a French, half-relief, card model of Monet's* house into a layout set in France. The commercially produced model does not  appear to state what scale it is. How could  I calculate that for myself if I do not know the size of the original building?

* The famous Impressionist painter.

I have a nasty feeling this is a silly question but is it possible to ask the manufacturers or distributors? 

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I have a nasty feeling this is a silly question but is it possible to ask the manufacturers or distributors? 

Probably not. The manufacturers produced this card model 30 years ago and appear no longer to exist.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/09/2022 at 17:51, john new said:

Guessing this is the model, although the site with the picture does not help much.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/carte-maquette-maison-de-monet-monets-1978184681

UPDATE: It has arrived and is, in fact, smaller than an HO model. This could be good as I wish to place it at the rear of a layout and could do with a bit of forced perspective.

That's it. It looks more O scale than HO scale. But once I get it, and measure it, I may simply copy it at a suitably reduced size so when printed it is more appropriate.

Edited by ianp