Need to switch Peco/Seep point motors?

Many people have tried to use a DR4018 to switch Peco/Seep motors and found that it is seriously lacking. You may also be aware that the designer of all the Digikeijs product range (except DR50018) left the company a few years ago, leaving them with the rights to continue selling the products he designed.

He moved on and formed a new company, and he has been hampered by the world shortage of components however he has now managed to release some new items and one of great interest will be an 8-fold DCC solenoid switch with a built-in CDU

TD8008 Solenoid

image.png.91bb861ec215babf62487eff899dbc37.png

He has also designed a significantly improved command station (available Q2 2023), with feedback modules for automation. The range of switches, feedback controllers and command stations will be available from YaMoRC - dcctrainautomation.co.uk as they become available.

Check the Yamorc website out - very interesting and extremely useful equipment.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On 18/09/2022 at 17:44, WIMorrison said:

he has been hampered by the world shortage of components

Digikeijs itself has suspended production of many products due to component shortages.

• RMweb Premium

Several items are straight swaps for Digikeijs kit.

I like the interconnect idea for expansion but not so keen on the execution, using rigid, open connectors. (YD6901ES-LINK)

A little more flexible (sic) IMHO is the alternative version using 6 pin patch cables (YD6902ES-EXT) but still with the 6 pin open plug/socket

The YD9401 replacement/upgrade Wifi module for a DR5000 is an interesting item to supply.

I can't see a way to use Lenz RS or Roco bus devices as on the DR5000

Overall a good set of products.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Digikeijs itself has suspended production of many products due to component shortages.

Yes, they will be severely hampered for quite a while, especially as it is the core products that will not be available when supplier stocks have run out. I saw a DR5000 for sale at $480 the other day, advertised as 'last one'!!

Their other challenge DK faces is that they cannot redesign their products to take advantage of chips that are available because DK don't have the rights (or ability) to re-engineer the stuff - whereas YAMORC owns all the rights and hence is able to produce items by being nimble with supplies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This all looks very interesting, but there may be cheaper ways.  Try looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOoUkdjHtg

It's about using Arduino hardware to control servos.  Other videos in the series show how to make Arduinos into Nodes on a CMRI BUS for use in JMRI.  This is NOT to everybody's taste I quite understand.

The problem that all model railway hardware suppliers face is small quantities  (100s of units) - whereas more general purpose pieces of kit can be ridiculously cheap (100,0000+ units).  Much of the hardware suppliers produce excellent equipment and I have always been impressed by Digikeijs.  This stuff looks to be the equivalent.

For DCC control you need some hardware/computer interface which can add another £60 to the price of the - unless of course you already have a Loconet or some other network set up.  I didn't when looking at this problem so that was another hurdle. NCE bus is proprietary so I had to go elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, imt said:

It's about using Arduino hardware to control servos.

I've made an Arduino point motor driver for MTB MP1 motors.

I've used power mosfets (from my stock) as outputs, but could've done with some less highly rated ones as the MP1 only draws about 100mA max and I've used 25A or more mosfets!

3 hours ago, imt said:

For DCC control you need some hardware/computer interface

Works off the DCC bus

You can use an Arduino for many DCC projects, I've got one controlling Dapol servo signals, much cheaper than the recommended one.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.  You are of course right.  I tend to get caught up in my own needs - I needed feedback (which some like to have from points and signals too) but most control is done (even by me) on the DCC bus.