Painting Wills Slate Walls

didcot

I've been making a building from the relatively new Wills Slate Sheets. See below.

My thoughts are turning to painting. I've given it a coat of grey primer, but am wondering what colours folks use for Slate effects? Any advice would be most welcome  

20220918_115206.jpg.e61172a5d9c06ed64e64dd0f7d31c939.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The building looks excellent. What I normally do with buildings is prime them. I haven't done a slate building but id probably prime grey then dry brush a palette of greys (slate), blue (engineers), purples and browns. Check your refernces pics for the palette though. 

Edited by westernviscount

Thanks for that. Did the grey primer and then dry brushed a base layer of slate grey. I added some blue to give it a more purple look and added it randomly. I finished with a tan colour and again applied it randomly. It's surprising how much tan there is in some slates. I finished with a wash of cement. Pretty pleased how it's turned out.

20221016_105101.jpg.69a48bc5efb47f0bfdaff91ec95cd34a.jpg

Edited by didcot
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

20221217_092753.jpg.9de6874a204d87e5abbbfb46a8f66fff.jpg

Windows and doors are in. They have been painted along with the guttering and down pipes. The grey door stands out so I will paint it maroon. The windows are Halfords Red plastic primer which looks more like red oxide.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

These look great - a minor suggestion - I think the white windows would be enhanced with a thin dark wash to bring out the detail and on the darker ones (and pipes and doors) maybe a bit of (very) dry brushing. If you can experiment first even better.

Chris H

Thanks @Gilbert. I have dry brushed the gutters and down pipes with a rust colour. It doesn't show up in the photos. I'm looking at the options for the doors.

I have glazed the manager cottage and will do the workers cottages as well. I'm experimenting with washes to give a dirty window look or partially cleaned.

I must say the Wills Slate sheets are somewhat easier to blend together than say the stone or the slate roof ones.

• Like 1