Classic Model Co bus kits

RANGERS

Having built one of these kits (one of the forward entrance East Lancs) many years ago, I’d a few of the Bristol FS types of similar vintage that had been in the kit pile and with a few hours idle, decided to make a start on them.

Aside from instructions that are little more than a hand drawn diagram, and even allowing for the 1990s vintage, I can’t remember having to file and fettle as much of as many parts in a plastic kit as this one.

The parts are well detailed, the shape of it superior to the Corgi version and I’m sure the finished article will look the part, but I can’t remember the East Lancs being as much of a faff, so am I just getting impatient in my old age, or are these kits as poor as I’m thinking they must be?!

PS - Any tips on building them are welcome.

• Like 1

I've done some East Lancs forward entry examples, and an FS, all some years ago.

I remember them being OK, but needing a bit of cleaning up and care. I didn't use the St.Helens style plastic radiator on my East Lancs, getting white metal replacements I think from Bolton Bits.

The main issue I find with any bus kit is assembly into components so that it breaks down to be sprayable for painting at the end. My efforts at brush painting have never been satisfactory in my eyes, and so the idea of painting a bit as you go doesn't work for me. It does need some careful planning though, and some improvisation at times.

John.

• Like 1