Re-wheeling Hornby Dublo Deltic

uax6

• RMweb Premium

I've just picked up an old brass made LMS 10000, and its running gear is a Dublo Deltic. The profiles of the wheels are somewhat basic, so I was wondering if there is a suitable replacement available to bring them up to modern standards? I've tried looking around places like Ultrascale, but the doesn't seem to be anything available for the Dublo diesels.

Am I going to have to look to use Romford coach wheels (if they are the right diameter that is!)?

Andy G

Easiest way is Romford Markits driving wheels.  Straight replacement.    Just fill the spokes in with epoxy, car body filler if you don't like the spokes etc   I did it to my class 20 bogies.   The Deltic power bogie is quite nasty with a bevel gear drive, massively under scale wheelbase Fitting Carriage wheels will be a big job to make suitable axles or axle sleeves and bearings as they use small 1/16th inch or thereabouts axles.   I have K's  tender drives with axles which allow Jackson etc  Coach wheels to be fitted to chassis with 1/8th bore  gears a la Hornby Dublo but they would need 1/16th to 1/8th axle bearings, and I don't know where you would find any.  

• 2 months later...

I have just re-wheeled a Dublo Class 20 using Hornby Railroad Class 37 wheels (from a spares/repairs loco) - they are a perfect fit on the dublo axles.

The Deltic uses the same wheels as the Class 20 (according to the spares drawings) but looks to have more wheels with traction tyres

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...