Glorified test track

Thank you Kevin, they are the Bachmann models and not only look good but they run very well as well.

A Hornby 14xx class tank and auto coach. Incidentally I was given the Airfix  auto coach so can’t really complain that the colour is a little too dark, all I have done is weathered the bogies and added a crew and a few passengers.

She is seen here at Pendale Halt.

pgRfYgal.jpg

tR9KhECl.jpg

1RNzRuel.jpg

Peter M

• Like 6

By way of a change the featured locomotive is an elderly Lima model I bought second hand some years ago.

I don’t run her very often because she has wheels with large deep flanges and the round Lima motor. I have added a little weight, a driver and a few passengers and she runs remarkably well with a feed back controller fitted with an extra resistance. She is seen lurking around Pendale Halt.

KB7LWppl.jpg

KY8hShTl.jpg

xanzkmVl.jpg

06pXUbjl.jpg

Peter M

• Like 4

A GWR 51xx class is featured this time with half of a B set, seen at Pendale Halt.

This is the Dapol large prairie and is a superb looking model. The only work I have done is adding crew figures and a lamp and dulled the paintwork on the footplate at the front.

0KXgRkTl.jpg

oZMqiHMl.jpg

khIRjoAl.jpg

Peter M

• Like 1

A little more up to date with one of my favourite diesels the English Electric class 37. This on I bought second hand from a dealer but I know who had owned it originally. The number boxes are wrong for the western but I rather like the look of them. In realty of course I don’t think an eastern 37 would have ventured so far south west of course. However in our model world we can do this with a clear conscience.

Therefore we see D6707 shunting wagons at Pendale.

EX1EMkwl.jpg

z8xmflsl.jpg

bxbrDT6l.jpg

m7s0fYol.jpg

Peter M

• Like 6

Another favourite loco of mine is the Western class which is difficult to justify on a tiny layout,  but I don’t care I just like the look of them and in reality they worked in Cornwall.

This is the Dapol version which runs quietly and smoothly now she has been run in a little.

She is seen arriving then, shunting and eventually leaving Pendale dries with a load of ball clay in covered wagons.

TftOXALl.jpg

1P4xQGyl.jpg

H9fXcCXl.jpg

A6rIF1ul.jpg

Peter M

• Like 6

Another hydraulic locomotive I find most attractive is the Hymek of which in reality four are preserved today. Mine is the Heljan version and like all my Heljan diesels run superbly.

In reality of course they rarely worked into Cornwall but that doesn’t mean I can’t bend the rules slightly and pretend that they did.

No D7015 is seen here shunting vans at Pendale.

T8DdBVhl.jpg

YywqqnPl.jpg

KcGHzLWl.jpg

Peter M

Edited by Broadoak
photo
  • Like 6

I have always liked diesels painted green because that is how I remember seeing them as a young man. However over the years I come to have a certain fondness for blue diesels. So here are a few photos of an early class 25/3 in blue livery working at Pendale.

The model is the Heljan version.

uQDUAGjl.jpg

0yV7YuXl.jpg

BTC8RE7l.jpg

Peter M

• Like 6

I have been looking through this thread and found a couple of locomotives I have not posted any photos of. The first being the Dean 0-6-0, a model by Oxford Rail which I find most attractive as it is very Victorian looking. The model is very light so is not very powerful but despite that runs very well as all the wheels pick up current. It has a highly detailed cab and being rather spartan needs some crew figures to bring it to life. I have also added fire irons on the tender and given it a light wash to make it look used. She is seen working at Pendale with a B set.

ZeZQXAGl.jpg

OT9srZUl.jpg

The other loco is the 56xx class, a Bachmann model and a superb performer.

To my eye they look workmanlike and purposeful. In reality they were a powerful loco with a slightly higher tractive effort than a Stanier Black Five.

The model has been lightly weathered and had a few details added.

She is seen shuffling wagons full of clay waste near Pendale Halt and then passing a pannier in the loop.

QVp3IMBl.jpg

0eAnwOYl.jpg

5OJPV6ll.jpg

Peter M

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A locomotive, a railcar really, that I have not featured yet is the BR class 128 parcels car. I bought one some years ago when it was on offer at a very attractive price.

When it arrived I was very disappointed as on opening the box the whole of the detail under the floor fell out as it was not glued in properly. My first thought was to send the whole thing back, but with the aid of photographs I glued all the loose bits back in place with liquid super glue.

I then spent time painting the underfloor details to make the look more realistic.

When I tested the running of the model all my earlier thoughts changed completely by the superb running. It is very heavy and is a delight to operate.

mENV22rl.jpg

rRtoMOal.jpg

DBtfpkgl.jpg

PM63LUBl.jpg

Peter M

• Like 5

Because of its weight and superb running the parcels car noM55993 is ideal for shunting. The real ones were designed to pull a tail load so I thought why not on my model.

The blue parcels railcar arrives at Pendale with an empty twelve ton van in tow. The van is uncoupled and left in the loop opposite Pendale Halt.

DLGEAJql.jpg

54Jzu4Wl.jpg

PDuT0Bgl.jpg

ut6Lnsil.jpg

K1c56jwl.jpg

Peter M

• Like 5

The railcar now picks up the van loaded with pallets of ball clay, used in the sanitary ceramics industry in Stoke on Trent. It then runs past the halt on the loop to run round the loaded van. The empty van is now pushed into the siding at Pendale dries to be loaded with ball clay. As there are some parcels of newly printed books at Pendale Halt to be picked up brought in by the black pick up truck. The railcar and loaded van stops at Pendale Halt for the books to be loaded into it and then departs.

pPz1aPIl.jpg

DWwe5tHl.jpg

EXZcGQwl.jpg

b7onbjQl.jpg

wsjvdDRl.jpg

Ir7nw9dl.jpg

nvepRW3l.jpg

Peter M

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

The BR class 37’s were probably the most successful locomotives of the original selection designed to replace steam power. I must say I find them an attractive shape which to my mind looks pretty good in any of the liveries they subsequently wore.

My version of course is the original green with yellow ends and is seen arriving at Pendale with a small load of empty vans.

yw4EFs2l.jpg

PLn2TQHl.jpg

VQbNwXWl.jpg

doo6Ft7l.jpg

Peter M

• Like 5

The green 37 uncouples and runs round her train past Pendale Halt. She then propels the empty vans into the siding next to the clay dries. The brake van is left in the head shunt. She then couples to the rake of loaded wagons in the dries siding and pulls them out. The loaded wagons are then coupled to the brake van which is then coupled to the empty vans in the siding. These are then spotted in the siding for loading later. The brake van is uncoupled and the loaded wagons set off for their ultimate destination, the Stoke on Trent potteries.

bxmsHw6l.jpg

kt4WJENl.jpg

SAmhMC1l.jpg

IwygqiPl.jpg

YR1e1o1l.jpg

vQQgA8jl.jpg

vlt1VYvl.jpg

T9zrB6El.jpg

yFmYHdCl.jpg

Peter M

• Like 4

A skinhead noD5509 is seen arriving in the passing loop at Pendale with a rake of empty wooden wagons destined for the ball clay dries.

The model is the Hornby version with gimmicks, a fan that has never worked and opening cab doors. The doors feature I do rather like as a slightly open door adds a bit of character to the loco I think.

The loco uncouples the wagons in the loop and runs round them. She the couples up to the brake van and propels the rake into the siding next to the clay dries. She un-couples from the wagons pulling the brake van clear and then pushes it into the headshunt. She then couples up to a rake of loaded vans and backs onto the brake van to complete the train. When the guard is happy all is OK the train leaves on the first leg of its journey to the midlands potteries.

oUvfcrQl.jpg

76if6zrl.jpg

0Q9kF6ql.jpg

GkFW6WPl.jpg

5RKlQGwl.jpg

yh0lNo4l.jpg

k37ycYLl.jpg

nbgTpTPl.jpg

0ey64R8l.jpg

8SfEyPcl.jpg

Apsou6rl.jpg

GH2P3H6l.jpg