Where to buy block bell domes

• RMweb Gold

Last year I made some block bells for a friend. See attached.  These used various old steel bellsshe already had.  Now I want to make some more but I can't find suitable bells anywhere. Cycle bells that I can but are too lightweight.  I need heavyish steel or brass bells that look the part and not too expensive.  eBay hasn't helped and I can't find any others.  Next thing is to comb junk shops.  Otherwise, any suggestions?

Ian

20211006_121847.jpg.480dcee9bdc930969b4168680e63e4ad.jpg

20211006_121908.jpg.426dfea7f7d2ff0783fc8ccf3f942c8b.jpg

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 4

Would desk bells (of the sort that you get at receptions - think "Ring for service") be any use? They come in a variety of sizes and tones, and are usually either brass of chrome-plated steel.

Alternatively, if appearance is less important than tone, brightly-coloured sets are sold as childrens' musical instruments, with several different pitches.

brass-desk-bell-small-191-p.jpg

Look on old factory walls for the external telephone bells, usually 2 large domes together. Ask if you can have them as I doubt they have been used in years. Internal fire alarm domes, old ambulance bells or  old telephone, internal, bells.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Would desk bells (of the sort that you get at receptions - think "Ring for service") be any use? They come in a variety of sizes and tones, and are usually either brass of chrome-plated steel.

Alternatively, if appearance is less important than tone, brightly-coloured sets are sold as childrens' musical instruments, with several different pitches.

brass-desk-bell-small-191-p.jpg

Thanks, the trouble with these is that they are so lightweight and don't give the required sonorous tone.

You sometimes see just the domes as spares on railwayana stalls (eg Quorn swapmeet), but complete bells are expensive.  You would probablly find most of them too large for use on the miniature instruments you are making. 

I have comes across model railway block bells made using bells from old (pre-push button era) telephones.  Those come in pairs which ring alternatley and need to be re-wired to work as single stroke using only one of the domes.  External bells as used in some industries have already been mentioned - these ring louder and can be similarly treated.

Triang used to make a block instrument set - these are now expensive collectors items, but if you can find a broken one cheap in a junk box at a show, it could be used.  As built they sound tinny, and the tapper isn't great either.  TBH even a bike bell would sound better - modern bike bells do seem pretty cheap and nasty, older one ones might be better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

GPO 700 series telephone bells are of two different types in the same phone. This is to get the right tone, but means that if used on their own you will get two different rings, handy for each end of the block shelf. Somewhere I've got loads of them, but your problem is that they look nothing like the ones on your original block bell, that is low and wide, these are tall and thin....

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've only just come across this thread, and I notice from your later thread Home Made Block Bells that you sourced some rather nice brass bell domes.

Another suggestion which may help anyone else coming to this thread is something like the Friedland Honeywell D792 Underdome Doorbell.

These usually work off a low voltage (8-12V) AC transformer to give a continuous "DRINNNNNNNN...G" for use as a doorbell, but if you drive them with a momentary 8-12V DC pulse they give a very satisfactory single "TING".

One drawback for this application is that they use gravity to assist the return spring for the hammer, so must be mounted vertically.

They are what I used for my pseudo block instruments:

block_instrument.jpg.d1e07775e71ce6731f6b97fb64a6db39.jpg

Some other ideas in this thread Block Instruments and Bells

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWR57xx said:

I've only just come across this thread, and I notice from your later thread Home Made Block Bells that you sourced some rather nice brass bell domes.

Another suggestion which may help anyone else coming to this thread is something like the Friedland Honeywell D792 Underdome Doorbell.

These usually work off a low voltage (8-12V) AC transformer to give a continuous "DRINNNNNNNN...G" for use as a doorbell, but if you drive them with a momentary 8-12V DC pulse they give a very satisfactory single "TING".

One drawback for this application is that they use gravity to assist the return spring for the hammer, so must be mounted vertically.

They are what I used for my pseudo block instruments:

block_instrument.jpg.d1e07775e71ce6731f6b97fb64a6db39.jpg

Some other ideas in this thread Block Instruments and Bells

Those do look really good.  Very impressive.  

I'm pleased with my brass bells, sourced from an old telephone.  

Ian

• Like 2