GW & GC Joint Line late 1930s - wagon builds

I have a couple of other topics on GW & GC Joint Line late 1930s for loco builds and coach builds, I thought I'd start this one for wagons and vans, as I've just finished the building a brass Jidenco GWR Damo A car van. 

First thing to say is what an awful kit. The worse thing is that the ends aren't the right profile. The ends in the kit have a constant radius curve for the top, but in practice they were nothing like that and had the same (or near enough) profile as Siphon H and Python. That necessitated replacing the ends with planked plasticard, and using the roof from a Hornby Siphon H. The sides aren't high enough but only by about 1mm so careful placing of the rainstrip gets round that. Various other parts are either underscale or overscale, so had to be filed down or replaced. The solebars are flat brass which needed bending into the U-shape, not as easy as it sounds. The Damo A has the same underframe layout as the Mink D, so single V-hanger and clasp brakes with DC3 handbrake, which I added using various MT and Bill Bedford etched parts. Single steps from Frogmore. I'm happy with the end result but it took a long time. And I've got two more of the kits to make 😫 - I think I'll do one more and call it a day.   I also have an AF Hammond Damo B to make which has a really nice white metal casting for the ends; I considered using the ends from that for the Damo A but I want to make the Damo B at some point.  I believe that Hammond also made Damo A and Asmo kits, which I'd love to get hold of but have never seen for sale.

IMG_0364.JPEG

IMG_0366.JPEG

IMG_0367.JPEG

• Like 6

Before the Damo I'd built three Micas. The first two are from Parkside kits, one as X7 and one as X8. The third is the old Wrenn / Triang model which has a decent body but is a foot too long for what it is supposed to be, so I filed off the ventilator hoods and mounted it on a Peco 10' wheelbase underframe to make it into X9, which is the one diagram with that wheelbase.

IMG_0088.JPEG

IMG_0089.JPEG

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, scratcher said:

The third is the old Wrenn / Triang model which has a decent body but is a foot too long for what it is supposed to be, so I filed off the ventilator hoods and mounted it on a Peco 10' wheelbase underframe to make it into X9

I have an old Hornby Dublo one I've thought of doing the same with; how straightforward was it, please?

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2022 at 10:42, scratcher said:

I have a couple of other topics on GW & GC Joint Line late 1930s for loco builds and coach builds, I thought I'd start this one for wagons and vans, as I've just finished the building a brass Jidenco GWR Damo A car van. 

IMG_0364.JPEG

What have you done there to fit the tension lock couplings? I was going to fit screw links on my Siphon C but then it dawned on me none of my other stock using scale couplings.

On 03/10/2022 at 21:49, Cwmtwrch said:

I have an old Hornby Dublo one I've thought of doing the same with; how straightforward was it, please?

It was time consuming more than difficult. A lot of filing down, taking care not to file the edges of the sides or the roof, then when it gets too awkward to use a file, scrape with a scalpel blade. When flat enough, carefully scribe the grooves between the planks. If you look at the photo you can see where the moulded planks end and mine start, but it's good enough I think. You need to cut off the footsteps on the left side of each end, carefully with a very fine blade, as you need one intact to re-use as the top footstep where the hood was.  I removed the door bars and replaced them with ones from the Parkside kit; it's on its own sprue so I phoned Peco and they kindly sent me the sprue in the post for a small charge. Handrails also removed and replaced by wire. The underframe is https://peco-uk.com/products/10-ft-wheelbase-gwr-rch-wagon-underframe-kit. The two roof hatches at each end were filed off and replaced with one central hatch.  The step below the doors is by Frogmore @ Dart Castings. There's a very good photo in Freight Wagons & Loads by Russell which was my main reference.

IMG_0372.jpeg

Edited by scratcher
Added photo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 57xx said:

What have you done there to fit the tension lock couplings? I was going to fit screw links on my Siphon C but then it dawned on me none of my other stock using scale couplings.

The bits are in the photo, suitably cut down. Looks a bit odd but it enables the DC3 brake gear to be modelled. 

IMG_0371.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, yes that's one of the "problems" I have with the Siphon, fully modelled brake gear so no room for the usual NEM pockets. I have couplings like you've shown so will give that a go.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As I mentioned above in the Damo A post, I have two more Damo A kits to build. I've just completed the second. To speed things up I used the ends from a Hammond Damo B kit. Otherwise build pretty much the same. The ends require a bit of filing down at the top in order to mate with the Hornby Siphon H roof.

IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2443.jpeg

• Like 1

I did a gwr ex tvr brake van last year from a Jidenco kit and eventually threw away the sole bars, and replaced them with brass 'U' section of almost the right size.  Eventually worked ok but not brilliant.  Fortunately I have an unmade 'Dragon Models' kit to show me what it should look like, and what goes where.  (later this year!!) 

• Like 1