Need the most or struggling to find?

In a vain attempt to bring this back to modelling related….

For some years now, The Wife and I have bounced around the idea of moving, and that’s as far as it goes. Well it began to get serious when we got interested in a couple of new builds and I wrote down a list of needs. Well that list included a big room suitable for a railway. This met, understandably, with protest “We cannot let your hobby dictate what we buy”. One Agent replied that an outdoor room could not be added into the garden for 5 years. So, for me, the biggest need is the right house in the right place. Am I being unreasonable? “Yes!” I hear you all shouting.

• Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, AyJay said:

For some years now, The Wife and I have bounced around the idea of moving, and that’s as far as it goes. Well it began to get serious when we got interested in a couple of new builds and I wrote down a list of needs. Well that list included a big room suitable for a railway. This met, understandably, with protest “We cannot let your hobby dictate what we buy”. One Agent replied that an outdoor room could not be added into the garden for 5 years. So, for me, the biggest need is the right house in the right place. Am I being unreasonable? “Yes!” I hear you all shouting.

No I wouldn’t say your expectation of a decent railway room is unreasonable, this was the dielema I had even finding that decent room to expand in. There always appeared to be some issue with any prospective property, in the end I decided to save money ie stamp duty and put it towards expanding the existing railway room. I certainly would not buy a new build and advise to steer well clear as I have been told too many horrific stories from those who work on such sites. Of course there could be the expense of the solicitor for unreasonable behaviour 😄

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AyJay said:

No.  I don't think you're being unreasonable.

A room for your hobby is just another thing to go on the list of features you are looking for.  If your hobby was restoring classic cars then you'd want a garage.  If it was gardening then you would want a decent sized plot.  If you had children you would want an appropriate number of bedrooms.  If you liked dinner parties you would want a dining room.  If you enjoyed cooking then a tiny kitchen wouldn't be appropriate.  If theatre was your thing then living in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be fun.  If you enjoyed hillwalking perhaps living in the middle of a city wouldn't be your first choice.  Do you need good transport links?  Do you need to be near a school?  Do you need a hospital nearby?  Do you need to be near parents or grown up children?

My thinking would always be to make a list and then have a grown up discussion about the relative priorities of everything on it with the aim of arriving at a shortlist of the features that really matter to everyone concerned.

I have a feeling though that none of this has anything to do with what Gilly was hoping to hear when the question in the OP was posed. 🙂

• Agree 2

Space for me. I'm restricted to micro-layouts, but I'm running out of space even for those.

In terms of stuff related to modelling, I guess it would be certain kits. There are some pretty useful models to me that have been out of production for years or decades. When they pop up on eBay, the price shoots through the roof. I might find the odd item at a show, but that's by no means reliable. Ditto books - I was lucky enough to find a copy of Buckingham Great Central secondhand for £8, but when I last looked online, the cheapest copy I could find was £60. 

Otherwise, though, in terms of availability of items, online shopping means that there are very few items in current production that you can't obtain if you're prepared to look. I'd make an exception for certain materials - timber is one that people have mentioned.

On 16/10/2022 at 16:51, AyJay said:

You are being perfectly reasonable; we moved earlier this year and my initial demand was for a railway room and a garage. That gave room for negotiation- didn't get the garage!

Hi all,

Well, I am in the same boat as HonestTom.

We are looking to buy a bigger house, But my wife is in full agreement that we need a decent size room for my model railway. Cannot use a garage from whatever new house we buy. That's for my motorbikes. But it must have a craft room and studio for my wife. So things are looking expensive....... :(

• RMweb Gold

Money.....and permission lol.Trying to convince my wife i need one of those Crane workshops at least 20' x 12' in the back garden so she can have spare room back and doesnt have to put up with the smell of glues, flux, white spirits and enamals anymore lol!!! £12k plus is the quote but still cheaper than moving house lol!!!

29 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Crane workshops at least 20' x 12' in the back garden 

But doesn't security then become (more of?) an issue?

For various reasons me & the other half have decided to go our separate ways after just over 30 years of 'togetherness'. So she's agreed to buy me out and I'm now in the property market. It might seem to be an advantage when looking on your own if you need space for a particular reason - but trying to find suitable existing space isn't all that easy.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

But doesn't security then become (more of?) an issue?

For various reasons me & the other half have decided to go our separate ways after just over 30 years of 'togetherness'. So she's agreed to buy me out and I'm now in the property market. It might seem to be an advantage when looking on your own if you need space for a particular reason - but trying to find suitable existing space isn't all that easy.

Design and build exactly what you want!

(Just be prepared for the full Grand Designs experience - problems with the foundations, windows that are delivered late and don't fit, cost and deadline overruns, etc., etc... 😉)

Edited by Harlequin

As a service technician you can never have enough parts and spares. I wish manufacturers did all they could to offer as many replacement parts and make them easy to get. Bachmann's site is of course a pleasure to use, although they could even stand to offer more parts for older models. Wish every manufacturer had a parts site like Bachmann's.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/10/2022 at 11:20, Gilly said:

What is it as modelers new and old that you need the most or struggle to find for our hobby.

Is it

Scenery material 

Electrical equipment 

Tools

Accessories 

Or something else 

locomotives suitable for Woodford Halse in the very early 1950s. The more mainstream ones are no problem, but whitemetal kits are either no longer in production or rare as hen's teeth. It has taken me 7 years to get hold of a B16, L3, N5 and C13, in various stages of completion!