The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hedging and Shrub Issues

Captain Cuttle

I dont know if climate change is a reason why a lot of our shrubs appear to be affected by powdery mildew as most are over ten years old and have succumbed this year. I always thought laurel to be pretty bullet proof but that has it as well in various areas and the red robin has a leaf curl. Will fungicide help i wonder as these are large hedges !

Alan

• Friendly/supportive 1

Maybe a local issue - my laurel bush is going strong as ever and it's taken me a quite a bit of effort to prune it back so it doesn't dominate everything else.  We have had trouble with privet, some mild mildew damage and what appears to be insect damage (recurs this thime of year annually).  Have also cut that back heavily, but that's just the sort of pruning advised by web sites.  No idea whether fungicide will help you, sorry.

• RMweb Premium

No, there are problems across the country. In Yorkshire we have had higher than average cases this year, probably caused by the year's heat and drought stress. Our honeysuckles in particular have had a bad time.  

https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/powdery-mildews may help with advice, also baking soda (a teaspoon in a quart of water) is a 'home' remedy which many have found effective, especially with large areas. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 20:42, The White Rabbit said:

No, there are problems across the country. In Yorkshire we have had higher than average cases this year, probably caused by the year's heat and drought stress. Our honeysuckles in particular have had a bad time.  

https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/powdery-mildews may help with advice, also baking soda (a teaspoon in a quart of water) is a 'home' remedy which many have found effective, especially with large areas. 

What is the best time of the year to do that. There is so much wet weather here in Devon atm. It has spread over 100ft  from hedging 

at the front to the back of our garden. A mixture of laurel, holly and red robin. I did try with some fungal spray from B&Q but couldnt reach the top as not so agile now!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

What is the best time of the year to do that. There is so much wet weather here in Devon atm. It has spread over 100ft  from hedging 

at the front to the back of our garden. A mixture of laurel, holly and red robin. I did try with some fungal spray from B&Q but couldn't reach the top as not so agile now!

Ouch. That sounds like a nasty outbreak. I wouldn't recommend any particular time of year, just 'as required' when you see the mildew. But I would suggest it's best done in dry and not too sunny weather (so rain doesn't wash the solution off and a powerful (summer?) sun doesn't scorch the leaves) so spring - autumn is likely to be easier. And in autumn try and pick up as many fallen leaves with mildew as possible to reduce the number of spores for next year. 

Maybe try the baking soda remedy on a small section and if it works for you, it might be worth trying to rig up something to give you the reach to do the higher parts, maybe a hosepipe on a stick, sprinkler head and pump? Could be cheaper than any commercial extendable sprays. 

• 11 months later...

We have been battling a Box Tree Moth infestation on our box hedge. This is an imported species and is now prevalent around Norwich.  Three ways to cope with it:-

1)  Pick out all the caterpillars.

2) Chemical.

3) Remove and burn and replace with a similar shrub. 

We are getting on top of it and the infestation is much reduced this year. The box can recover if given the chance. There is a chemical solution now which only affects the Box Tree Moth. Sad really as they are an attractive insect.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, geoffers said:

We have been battling a Box Tree Moth infestation on our box hedge. This is an imported species and is now prevalent around Norwich.  Three ways to cope with it:-

1)  Pick out all the caterpillars.

2) Chemical.

3) Remove and burn and replace with a similar shrub. 

We are getting on top of it and the infestation is much reduced this year. The box can recover if given the chance. There is a chemical solution now which only affects the Box Tree Moth. Sad really as they are an attractive insect.

The Box Tree Moth is fairly common in south London. My daughter and my neighbour had considerable success using biological treatment, involving nematodes I think, and most affected plants survived and are flourishing.

• Informative/Useful 1