Hattons "gems"

GWR-fan

With the cost of pre-owned items increasing it is refreshing to find an occasional gem listed on the site.  Two recent purchases have my head swimming as to how they were listed.  First off was a Hornby R2124  Schools class "Dulwich" listed as a ringfield drive but the image was of a much later version with tender mounted DCC socket.  Priced at GBP40.00 (around GBP33.50 with VAT removed).  I took the risk and sure enough a mint DCC ready loco minus original packaging and brakerods arrived.  Second loco was a Hornby R2505 BR "push/pull" M7 in very good box and apparently unrun for GBP49.00 (around GBP42.00 after VAT removed).  This will go well with my Maunsell two-car set.  I still await arrival of the M7,   but confident that there will be no issue with it.

I do religiously view the pre-owned items daily but with steadily increasing costs I do not anticipate seeing a bargain.  What does irk me though are the many locomotives that were on firesale a couple of years ago now selling pre-owned for more than double the firesale cost.  In particular are the Heljan prototype models like "Lion" which was available for GBP72.00 a couple of years ago now listed over GBP200.00.   Those were the days.

Another gem which appeared on the pre-owned site mid-weekend was a three-car (2 X brake coach and a composite coach) Replica Railways WR 64' suburban set (#12497) in crimson livery with original box for the sum of GBP40.00  (GBP33.50 after VAT).    I had never seen a set previously listed but considered it good value.  They look to be nicely modelled coaches complete with metal wheels.

Edited by GWR-fan
Part number of set