BR52s still at work in Europe

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

I don’t know if anyone is aware that the BR52 is still hard at work in Europe?  Not for tourism but at a mine in the former Yugoslavia

click here

The BR52 was intended for temporary duty for the duration, not more than five or more years, it seems that the design was rather good.

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. I first read about Br 52 in a passing reference in a Trains Illustrated over 60 years ago, and while not really a steam-nut my interest was piqued.

I haven't been to the former Yugoslavia since 1966, but the next year I made a trip to Graz, in Styria, specifically to catch 52s at work. I was not disappointed, although my very poor photos (Brownie 127) have long-since perished. 

I still hanker after a decent HO model, but have been disappointed to find many are tender-drive. Owning one remains on my bucket-list. 

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson

Ian,

In September ‘90, we had taken a weekend break whilst posted to Berlin and had taken the train to Dresden.

On our return to Gatow, that evening, the BBC world service was rattling on about reunification and a DDR spokesperson was being interviewed claiming east German technological achievements just as a lone BR52 was shuffling over a bridge in the background.

C6111FB7-9CBC-4C7D-9D99-444D5235E363.jpeg.fa3e3d3c2ed7f587144904c34acea302.jpeg

We smiled as the MPD just beyond the Turkish cigarette factory (above)  in Dresden was full of BR52s, still hard at work, forty years after their ‘sell by’ date.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Nice image

There are quite a few BR52s in preservation. At the heritage line where I am a volunteer we are reaching completion of restoration. In the summer of next year we expect to have it pulling passengers on the ZLSM here in the Netherlands. 

D3205917-180D-4874-9D70-A35836AF3EA3.jpeg.edde8bbeeefe0b9b6d0e9b8b68790881.jpeg

Edited by LimboBrit
  • Like 10

Guest Jack Benson

On a return to places that were well known during the last tour with IFOR, this was captured in 2009, near Tuzla, I think that there is a Yugoslav-built S100 on the right. IIRC, this is still hard at work. 

B335F783-8880-4CC8-B155-6408BEC497BC.jpeg.8a718c03c9f652c65f280b6e4ecb1e5c.jpeg

Yes, these locos in Bosnia are well known on the European steam enthusiast circles. However I thought the workings had reduced quite a lot in recent months, but may be they have restarted again as local coal may be easier to obtain that gas from elsewhere...Although I'm not convinced that the video in the lead post in this thread is what happens day to day

The best source for steam news is:

https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/europe.htm#Bosnia

Edited by Gordonwis

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2022 at 10:07, Jack Benson said:

In September ‘90, we had taken a weekend break whilst posted to Berlin and had taken the train to Dresden

In Dresden 26 years later (OK I admit, preserved):

P1010501.jpeg.8157081e1514cb23e73e0dd4f28c5614.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2022 at 09:54, Oldddudders said:

I still hanker after a decent HO model, but have been disappointed to find many are tender-drive. Owning one remains on my bucket-list. 

Roco have been making a very decent one for over 14 years. Motor is in the tender, drives the last two axles in the tender and the 4th row driving wheels in the loco via a cardan shaft (and then the other 4 rows via the coupling rods). Definitely the best on the market in both detail and function. Märklin/Trix have done a new one (at least a 42 anyway) thats almost as good, but it is more expensive and you are forced to buy their rubbish sound decoders with it.

Edited by Stefan88
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 04:55, Stefan88 said:

Roco have been making a very decent one for over 14 years. Motor is in the tender, drives the last two axles in the tender and the 4th row driving wheels in the loco via a cardan shaft (and then the other 4 rows via the coupling rods). Definitely the best on the market in both detail and function. Märklin/Trix have done a new one (at least a 42 anyway) thats almost as good, but it is more expensive and you are forced to buy their rubbish sound decoders with it.

I have a pair of Roco BR 50s with this same drive mechanism. My word do they run wonderfully and pull like a 20 mule team. Bachmann and Hornby could learn from the German makers.