Britomart

AMJ

Thanks for the new thread!

Right, that's me, cabbing my first loco, aged around five or six, which would put it around 1970-72. If you've read the other thread, you'll know that I thought it was on the Middleton Railway up in Leeds. The problem is Britomart was supposedly in Wales at that point, a place I didn't visit until much later in life when we went on several family holidays in Llandudno. Whilst I was that age, the only exotic places visited would have been Blackpool, Filey or possibly Whitby, but we did live near Leeds, and my mum does remember my dad taking me to Middleton on several occasions. The only other vague possibilty is the NRM in York. Anyone any ideas?

Oh, and here's the pic again:

post-6908-127745037232.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi

The building in the background does look vaguely like the Hunslet engine works. Could the loco have been on a traier as you seem quite high up, unless your mum was crouching down. I'm not sure of the surroundings in the old Middleton terminal at Claytons.

Jamie

Interesting Mike, any more details?

This reminded me of the early 1970s when working on the Festiniog Railway, we entered Britomart in a number of summer carnivals, Porthmadog and Llan Ffestiniog are 2 I was involved with. The loco was mounted on the companys lorry (AEC artic if I remember) on rollers made at Boston Lodge so that the wheels could revolve with the loco being in steam.

The shot on the Sealink lorry appears to show the loco in steam so the rollers probably in use again.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

I did see the Festiniog artic tractor unit parked in an old good yard near Apperley bridge in Leeds a couple of times so the load could have come over this way for some sort of festival.

Jamie

The FR heritage site shows this loco going to Ireland to promote the GLTW cause and the trip was sponsored by Sealink so I think that the Sealink photo probably relates to the trip to Ireland.

Interesting possibility of Hunslet Engine Works but as they had multi gauge test track I'd have thought it would have been on rails and lower down. Angle of shot makes it look like it's high up as mentioned before.

Archived