GNR A1 Pacific builds

1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

Very interesting: what's the baking powder doing though, and what's the advantage of this over conventional fillers like Milliput?

Hi Chas,

The baking powder seems to make the superglue stronger and set harder. There is some sort of chemical reaction between the two. I have found that this method works well in small areas and areas that may protrude a bit. Like the corners of the 21Ton coal wagon I mentioned. 

This is Paul restorers Youtube home page. He quite often uses this method to make things like door pillars and car bumpers in his restorations:

https://www.youtube.com/@PaulRestorer

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have started repairing damaged areas using the gel superglue and baking soda method.

3 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

You can also use superglue with microballoons filler powder. When rubbed down you get a surface just like the styrene.

Yes! I forgot about that. I use the superglue and talc (baby powder and whatever else it can be called)  method at work, quite a bit. Superglue and microballoons when I am not lazy.

4 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Very interesting: what's the baking powder doing though, and what's the advantage of this over conventional fillers like Milliput?

If you put in enough white stuff, you are guaranteed to have a filler substance that is easier to sand than the plastic, easy to work with and fast drying. A lot of products out there can be quite hit and miss in terms of their hardness in comparison to the material you are working with.

3 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I saw this technique about 25 years ago at an aeromodellers event, the superglue and baking powder make up a fast setting filler paste, I've used it a few times...if I can remember where I've put the baking powder...🤔

Talc/Baby powder is very good too.

Edited by Captain_Mumbles
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Yes! I forgot about that. I use the superglue and talc (baby powder and whatever else it can be called)  method at work, quite a bit. Superglue and microballoons when I am not lazy.

If you put in enough white stuff, you are guaranteed to have a filler substance that is easier to sand than the plastic, easy to work with and fast drying. A lot of products out there can be quite hit and miss in terms of their hardness in comparison to the material you are working with.

Talc/Baby powder is very good too.

Hi Mumbles,

You cannot get talc or baby powder in the UK any more. Atleast not officially. There is a very good reason why it has been taken off the market. You will need to register on this site to read the whole article.

https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/news/johnson-and-johnson-to-end-all-uk-baby-powder-sales-as-ovarian-cancer-claims-escalate/1442043.article#:~:text=Motor-,Johnson and Johnson to end all UK Baby,as ovarian cancer claims escalate&text=Insurers could be bracing for,sales of the product globally.

Edited by cypherman
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, cypherman said:

Whaaaaaaat!

I guess this means we probably will not be getting it anymore here either.

• 3 weeks later...