Class 46 with central split headcode boxes

Richard_A

• RMweb Gold

With a little digging I have found that only the last 20 class 46s were built with the central one piece headcode boxes and that during refurbishment at brush traction the twin boxes were replaced with the one piece ones. 

Does anyone on here have some rough dates of the refurbishment please? I have been reprofiling the nose of a replica class 45 which I have put on an early Bachmann class 45 chassis and if possible I would like to renumber it as a class 46. 

I could open the two headcode boxes to form a one piece one or score the battery boxes to replicate the class 45 ones but if I don't need to that would be good. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rka said:

but if I don't need to that would be good. 

Mid 60s i think. Some stuff on this old thread. There were differences in the roof panels, battery box covers and the 46 didnt have the access flap on one side under the long grill.

Here's one in 67 that has been modified. I found another from 64 too:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1065213468/h2cf56c6f

I'm fairly sure, though have never seen it mentioned, the as built one piece type had a more substantial surround, which nibbled into the small yellow panel at the top, whereas those fitted with one piece replacements didnt.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Mid 60s i think. Some stuff on this old thread. There were differences in the roof panels, battery box covers and the 46 didnt have the access flap on one side under the long grill.

Here's one in 67 that has been modified. I found another from 64 too:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p1065213468/h2cf56c6f

I'm fairly sure, though have never seen it mentioned, the as built one piece type had a more substantial surround, which nibbled into the small yellow panel at the top, whereas those fitted with one piece replacements didnt.

Thank you, I thought there was a thread on this but I couldn't find it. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Technically it was the head code glass that was replaced, the head code mechanism remained the same.

Were the nose sections so badly corroded in such a short period of time they needed reskinning?