Beware! Rapido WRR16 XX not compatible with Zimo sound decoders.

posneg6

I think that the Rapido WR16 XX is a fantastic model  it runs extremely well until I put a Zimo MS590N18, pre loaded with YouChoose sound file.  The main issue is that when I increase the speed above half way the train will not respond to any command or decrease speed after this, it seems locked in and will carry on no matter what I do with the controller, the only way to reset it is to remove it from the tracks or stop the whole system then restart. this has been going on for 2 months now so I decided to take the decoder out and swap it with another zimo non sound decoder. The Rapido runs as expected with a normal Zimo decoder. I have put the Zimo sound decoder into a Bachmann J 72 steam loco with built-in speaker and LED firebox. same problem.

I wrote to Rapido who replied with  this ;

"As far as I have managed to work out, the 16xx is not compatible with Zimo, it was designed to take an ESU decoder and as a result it can behave erratically with Zimo decoders. I understand many Zimo users have removed the PCB and hard wired the model to get it to work.

I have sent the decoder back to my supplier here in Australia and he is running tests but so far unable to find fault in the decoder.

It looks like I will have to buy a Next 18 Breakout board and remove the Rapido PCB.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the new Zimo MS590N18, pre loaded with YouChoose sound file for the J72 will work without a problem.

Before you say get an ESU decoder, apparently there is a shortage of them at the moment in Australia.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Have you spoken to Rapido about the issues?

The recent Heljan GWR/ AEC railcar was also configured to work with an ESU decoder, but that was for lighting functions only. I much prefer Zimo decoders as I like the Youchoos sound files.

Heljan claim I was the only person to complain, I don’t think choice should be restricted in this way.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, posneg6 said:

I have put the Zimo sound decoder into a Bachmann J 72 steam loco with built-in speaker and LED firebox. same problem.

That suggests the Bachman J72 behaved erratically as well? So not just Rapido struggling with the Zimo sound decoder?

C

• Like 1