Tomytec Moving Bus System - relaunch

Mike Harvey

With the relaunch of the Tomytec Moving Bus System, the new extendable chassis BM-04 will also be available individually to fit earlier Tomytec and other buses. Attractively priced around USD25. Power is from one LR44 dry cell. It is unclear what functions the new chassis has but it is said not be compatible with the road magnet setup for the stopping and speed changeover functions of the discontinued BM-01/02/03/03R. Example listing from Hobby Search. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10934243?utm_source=mkt&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20221113_1000104_summary&utm_content=10933319_img_en

A set including a Toyota Saro bus is also available including a bus stop compatible with the new chassis.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10916292

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 months later...

The new Tomytec bus chassis has arrived initially as part of set A3. Each set has an oval of snap together track with an embedded wire with the curved ends made up of 90 degrees 103mm radius and 90 degrees 140mm radius. I have two sets so I have set things up with a smaller 103mm radius oval inside the larger 140mm oval. The curved ends are linked by 280mm of straight road which on one side includes a pull-in bus stop with a manually operated STOP-GO slide switch. In the STOP position a magnet is brought close to the guide wire and operates a reed switch on the motorised chassis. There are no sophisticated electronics on board unlike previous Tomytec bus chassis with their lights, fast and slow speed and a function to pause for about 10 seconds at the bus stop. Power is from a single LR44/AG13 button cell. The set comes with a lovely static model of the Toyota SARO fuel cell bus in 1/150 scale. The body from the static model fits over the motorised chassis. The wheelbase can be adjusted so that the wheels are centered appropriately in the body. A bit of fettling was required to get the magnet in the steering arm to reliably follow the embedded road wire, so not entirely plug and play. In the videos below the buses have old batteries (use by 2018!) fitted and one seems slower than the other. When I get some fresh batteries I suspect they will speed up to about 25mph.

Layout image

https://i.servimg.com/u/f41/12/12/53/02/tomyte10.jpg

tomyte10.jpg

Edited by Mike Harvey
corrected link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 months later...
On 04/08/2023 at 11:24, ianmianmianm said:

Mike - does this mean the new bus no longer automatically restarts once it has stopped. IE do you have to flick the swithc to get it moving again??

Yes this bus is just a dumb terminal. Motor, battery, on/off power switch and reed switch. You will need to slide the bus stop switch to the GO position to restart it. When I get the inclination I might look at how to automate the restart with an Arduino timed circuit and servo, but not high on my priority list. I have plenty of the smarter chassis for my needs.

I thought I had replied to your question on Youtube as well.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 1