Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Spotting 1975

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2022 at 09:00, tractionman said:

ah those were the days...

would be nice if there was equivalent footage from New Street in c.1978 and I could see if I could spot myself!

cheers,

Keith

This got me thinking,  has anyone ever spotter themselves in a photo or video many years later?

13 minutes ago, keysan said:

This got me thinking,  has anyone ever spotter themselves in a photo or video many years later?

A photo once appeared on Flickr of that bit of land at Clay Cross where spotters and photographers would be in the 1970s.

There was a bloke and a child with their backs to the camera and it was a little grainy, but I swear it was me and my father.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

A photo once appeared on Flickr of that bit of land at Clay Cross where spotters and photographers would be in the 1970s.

There was a bloke and a child with their backs to the camera and it was a little grainy, but I swear it was me and my father.

My hunting ground from about 1971 to this day, still cross the bridge where the old station was every day and always check both ways to see if anything in coming

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, keysan said:

Not from the 1970s but when D200 came to Exeter on a railtour in 1987 my stepbrother and I were able to cab it just after it arrived on platform 3 at St David’s. Then a few years ago I made friends with a chap from Stockport who was on said tour and he’s given me a photo of us teenage lads standing by the loco waiting to look in the cab.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm fairly certain that I appear on the platform at Tan-y-Bwlch with a down train hauled by Earl of Merioneth taken in the August of 1969, the embodiment of callow youth in unfashionable clothes and a bit too much hair; not 100% sure, but I was there at the time and certainly dressed like that!  Not strictly trainspotting, I was volunteering, and filled in a couple of days car park/dogsbody, general abuse, for the purpose of, that year at TyB before being moved to the shop at the newly opened Dduallt terminus.  Can't recall where I saw the photo, but it was quite recent and online somewhere.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

The opportunities for me to appear in published photos was most likely during the Western Class 52 farewell tours - I had to wait a long time but it finally happened in 'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' No 200 on the Westerns. A photo on page 86 showing D1023 Western Fusilier awaiting departure from Kings Cross for York on the 'Western Talisman' railtour of 20th November 1976 shows the 6' 3" me standing in a tan-coloured jacket with dark brown collar, blue jeans and a black bag, apparently distracted by something other than a Western at Kings Cross....... 🤨

I'd forgotten all about that jacket until I saw this picture 😬!

• Like 1