Thompson coaches as tool vans in brakedown trains

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I know some Thompson slab sided BGs were converted to tool vans but was wondering if any other Thompson coaches were converted to tool or mess vans as I have some of the older Bachmann ones

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DOCJACOB said:

Look at SRPS museum website? 

Their Thompson 3rd was a grounded body used as a mess van at Bellahouston if I recall correctly.

During preservation it re-acquired bogies. 

Cheers 

I was thinking more of mobile mess van 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

Paul Bartlett's collection has photos of 3 or 4, but marked up as mess/dormitory vans for ballast cleaners and the like rather than breakdown trains. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/erdepartmentalstock

That's what I'm  thinking.  I have a feeling the link that #Trestrol sent was also an engineers one 

If its the one I'm thinking of I remember it turning up on the NYMR in green with yellow doors in the early 80s

• RMweb Premium

I recall that ‘Blue Peter’ and ‘Bittern’ had a blue Thompson corridor brake ex Departmental coach as a support vehicle when owned by Geoff Drury in the 1970s. It turned up at Dinting with the locos in 1977 or 78. I don’t know what happened to it as there doesn’t seem to be one preserved so it probably got scrapped in the clear out from Dinting.

Dava

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dava said:

I recall that ‘Blue Peter’ and ‘Bittern’ had a blue Thompson corridor brake ex Departmental coach as a support vehicle when owned by Geoff Drury in the 1970s. It turned up at Dinting with the locos in 1977 or 78. I don’t know what happened to it as there doesn’t seem to be one preserved so it probably got scrapped in the clear out from Dinting.

Dava

That's a shame, is there any brakes preserved 

38 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

More information on the restoration/rebuild of the carriage here, which I understand the M&GN Society acquired from the Llangollen Railway.

https://nnrailway.blogspot.com/2022/11/m51188-repainted.html?m=1

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulG said:

More information on the restoration/rebuild of the carriage here, which I understand the M&GN Society acquired from the Llangollen Railway.

https://nnrailway.blogspot.com/2022/11/m51188-repainted.html?m=1

Paul

I hope the keep it in BR livery and don't do something stupid with it . Thinking about that GW pass fruit with lettering for Cromer or somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1