Not quite a garden railway - but close

Chris M

Although we did have a problem with the track falling off when stored vertically this has worked rather well. The layout itself is 16ft by 10ft and will fit in the back of a hatchback but a second car is needed to carry stock. It went to about half a dozen exhibitions in this form and saw a very wide variety of rolling stock. We were trying to recreate the feel of a garden railway.

637995702_IMG_3200(2020_10_2912_35_33UTC).JPG.7014ac1cc8d28895ee8d9f73f9933fea.JPG474898151_IMG_3195(2020_10_2912_35_33UTC).JPG.e39ac907d744f6d665a0f92ede9c88ba.JPG922492094_IMG_4647(2020_06_0705_33_04UTC).JPG.922983aef7cfe01f7a35dce437c8f388.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We did a similar idea back in the early 2000’s but it was rather heavier as we used chipboard so it only came out at events at Moors Valley Railway. 

G scale railways

G scale 2003

the front loader was RC

The support frame was almost identical being a slot together set of 4x1 planks. 

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, looks like a very similar theme.

Time and members moved, some members to be looked after elsewhere in the country and some to that great layout in the sky. Hortus Halt found itself in deep storage and with only me as a friend. I must confess I thought the next move would be to bin it. The story doesn't end there. Earlier this year a new member came along who was interested in garden railways and as the Warley NEC show likes to have layouts in as many scales as possible it was decided by the exhibition management that Hortus Halt should go to the 2022 show.

This led to discussion between the new member and myself. We decided the indoor garden railway theme hadn't really worked and wanted to go for a new theme. After a chat we decided to go for a"Dukes of Hazzard" theme. Surprisingly no alcohol had been consumed before making this decision. The track work couldn't be changed and the baseboards had to remain flat for storage and transport but apart from that we could do what we liked (on a very small budget).

Yes, it isn’t the worlds greatest moddling by a long way but we’ve had a bit of a laugh so far and hope to create a few smiles at the NEC exhibition. There is a rumour that this layout will also go to the Swindon Steam exhibition next September. So maybe there is life in the old dog yet, and it has learnt a few new tricks.

The styrofoam based boards have given no issues and remain wonderfully light.

Edited by Chris M

Well the flag might be a slight issue but it has to be said that General Lee cars are quite expensive which put me off more than anything else.  I haven't got Bo or Luke Duke either probably because I decided not to get a General Lee. I managed to get the other cars at quite a reasonable price.