Agricultural and construction vehicles by rail, 1968.

'CHARD

We've had similar topics previously, the above link is just one such.  There's also been occasional discussion about where to get such vehicles in OO and N, as kits or RTP; I've got a subtly different but related question. 

The fantastic Kelsey series of bookazines 'Moving The Goods' devoted an entire issue to Automotive traffic, and as a longtime devotee of company block cartrain workings (see signature), this is a library essential.  However, the wagonload traffic associated with delivery of tractors and construction vehicles is all a bit niche, and certain basic principles elude me.

I've accumulated a few products that could conceivably have been delivered new by rail in 1968, including the Compair/ Holmans CV160 compressors (Kernow exclusive), Oxford Diecast Massey Ferguson 135 tractors (production 1964–1975), and now I've stripped a Corgi Juniors Raygo Rascal 400 drum roller ready for painting in the correct as-built pale lime green factory finish. 

It's really this last machine that interests me here.  Weight and size-wise it's ideal for rail carriage, but whereas the compressors and tractors would individually find a natural conveyance on a Lowfit, Medfit  or equivalent, the length of the Raygo is around 19 feet, and as such it's too long for, and looks inappropriate on a short wagon.  Would a Plate wagon be used for this traffic, perhaps - it doesn't infringe the gauge such that it merits a Lowmac, nor is it sufficiently heavy that a Warflat is required (incidentally, I don't like Rule One and consequently shy away from unusual or exotic wagons).  Furthermore, in the BR loads book (?) was there a formula of some kind that dictated how much or what percentage of extra length of a wagon should be left clear when wheeled vehicles were being carried?

5 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

'Plates' were regularly used to transport loads such as trailers, Land Rovers and similar. The only thing to note is that the ends were fixed, unlike those on a Lowfit. There were also vehicles coded 'Carfit', both pre-Nationalisation and BR-built.

Thanks for this response, Brian.  I thought Plates would be a decent bet. 

I could conceivably have a couple of trailers loaded on 4S43 bound for Edinburgh and beyond, or on the daily Target 8 trip for delivery to a Borders agricultural dealer. The fixed ends are a conundrum, so cranage is a requirement.  As for Carfits, it's time to consult the Bradford Barton and Paul Bartlett's site.

14 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Thanks for this response, Brian.  I thought Plates would be a decent bet. 

I could conceivably have a couple of trailers loaded on 4S43 bound for Edinburgh and beyond, or on the daily Target 8 trip for delivery to a Borders agricultural dealer. The fixed ends are a conundrum, so cranage is a requirement.  As for Carfits, it's time to consult the Bradford Barton and Paul Bartlett's site.

It sounds as though it would fit on a Plate without being craned on. If you've a couple of such vehicles, then a Boplate or even a Borail might serve. Into the 1980s, there was a regular flow from Cambridge goods depot of second-hand tractors to Irish Sea ports on the latter. It's mentioned in one of the Paul Shannon 'Railfreight since 1968' volumes.

• Like 1