Looking for ideas and inspiration

Din

Basically find myself in a bit of a malaise for ideas. 

Ideas wise, looking at either a spot hire/railway repair yard for an idea within 6x2

Or a small Heritage railway HQ in about 9/10x2.

Or even threads which can act as inspirations. 

14 hours ago, Din said:

railway repair yard for an idea within 6x2

You don't say what period, or scale, you are modelling but Tees Yard Wagon Repair Depot is nice and compact and could certainly be adapted to fit in the space.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tees+yard+wagon+repair&qpvt=tees+yard+wagon+repair&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

As suggested above, Tees Yard WRD would fit into the space you have available.

Here are some pics of the layout I built a few years ago and the track plan. (There is a thread on here but sadly the pics were lost in the RMWeb meltdown.)

tywrd 12.11.15 001new.jpg

tywrd 4.11.15 001.JPG

Tees Yard WRD v.2.jpg

• Like 5

But what scale? N or TT allow 'more' track as everything is half the size if you compare N with OO.

One of the classic concepts of the modelling genre is Minories - a compact urban terminus design in two halves, there is a thread running on the 2mm scale specific section right now, and a war and peace style thread can be found here by searching for Minories.

629537192_Minoriestypeincode55.jpg.3fbf675d4e8beec25123f784f9f37bf3.jpg

Sorry about the terrible pasting. You can see in code 55 in 3M length there is a terminus on one side, with a separating feature, typically  a bridge, from a fiddle yard on the other side. There are many subtle variations on the station side, and extensions, but the core is a ladder of 4 turnouts (or sometimes slips) that create a terminus with parallel movements possible and no reverse curves. People play endlessly with this concept. The width required for this plan is about 40cm as drawn. Plenty of inspiration from this, usually.

And, as if by magic, another thread has suddenly appeared on the subject.

Edited by RobinofLoxley
additions

• RMweb Gold

Minories has lasted the pace because it is a b**dy good concept to start with.  Cyril Freezer knew what he was at when he designed it. The clever bits are the throat, which has no reverse curves, and the lack of run around release turnouts; the layout is intended to be an urban suburban terminus and trains are either top'n'tailed by locos from the spur or backed out to carriage sidings offstage.  It is normally thought of as being space restricted below street level because Cyril drew a picture of it hemmed in by retaining walls with the booking office/main building at street level overhanging the ends of the platforms, but it could equally be up on an embankment or archways with the main building at ground level feeding into a subway with steps to the platforms and a parcels lift; the visual separation from the fy would be harder to manage in this instance, but not impossible if the railway emerges from a hillside or cliff at an angle and the ground falls away towards the buffers

If I were building it, I would include a goods yard at ground level, and this might include a Marylebone-inspired milk depot and maybe even an end loading dock for Motorail traffic; I cannot be doing with a layout that doesn't cater for goods traffic!  It would also work as the suburban platforms of a larger station, built after traffic increased as an add-on, and doubling as a parcels facility off-peak and overnight; this is the excuse for big engines and a 24-hour pilot provision! 

The way Cyril drew it, one cannot help thinking of London, but any big city would work equally well.  It could also work as a small mainline terminus in the Penzance/Aberystwyth mode, or a ferry terminal, or a Firth of Clyde 'doon the watter' pleasure steamer connection station, or of course a combination of those.  The last two would introduce the possibility of fish traffic.  I reckon it's full potetial has still not been fully exploited; I even used it some years ago as the basis for a South Wales Valleys terminus inspired by Merthyr High Street (proper terminus stations, where the railway ended in a set of buffers and there was no end-on junction like at Treherbert or Aberdare, or continuation to a colliery further up the valley, were almost as rare as rhs in South Wales; Merthyr, Dowlais Central, arguably Nantymoel, Barry Pier, not in regular use so does it count?, and now I'm struggling!  Cowbridge for a short time before the line was extended to Aberthaw, and um...). 

The only plan I would use the epiphet 'genius' for, though timesaver is pretty clever as well!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If I were building it, I would include a goods yard at ground level, and this might include a Marylebone-inspired milk depot and maybe even an end loading dock for Motorail traffic; I cannot be doing with a layout that doesn't cater for goods traffic! 

That's not entirely unrealistic. Freezer based Minories on the Liverpool Street low level Met platforms turned into a terminus.

54142-Metropolitan-no-7-at-Liverpool-Street-1957.jpg.4e92d9174d4f8cbeda1b5d57027d49cb.jpg

You could imagineer something like the subterranean bits of Bishopsgate disappearing into the retaining wall before the station throat.

Cheers

David

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1