Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Reprogramming functions/lights

Robertm3110

Hi, I have probably been here before but DCC never ceases to confuse!  Just finishing a Bachmann 0 gauge class 24. Fitted it with Zimo696KS Chip.  Sound works fine, fitted front and rear lights and they are good. However I want to have separate control of the loco cab lights I have fitted, I.e. I don’t want them on all the time the loco is running which they would be if I connected them to the directional lights. How do I do that.  There are at least 6 “Function output” connections possible and currently free on the Zimo chip. How do I get 2 of these to be controlled by the powercab so that say pressing key 15 and 16 on the powercab (Option+5/Option+6) will control the loco cab lights.  It could be any keys on the powercab, I just want to understand the process of achieving it! Thanks. 

• RMweb Premium

I cannot give you a definitive answer as I haven't used that model of decoder but it's all to do with function (re-)mapping.

It's where you put a value in a CV which corresponds to the function key on the controller and the function output on the decoder.

Then pressing that function key will turn on that function output.

It starts at page 29 in the instructions for large scale decoder.

Edited by melmerby

There are multiple function mapping options in a Zimo decoder.   
The most powerful and flexible is "Swiss Mapping".   It takes some effort to get your head around it (because the manual is pretty poor in that section).   But, it will let you arrange anything - any function key controlling any output(s) including direction-of-travel if required.  Also makes it possible to have a "global" key which turns off a group of lights, regardless of their individual function key selections.    

I was baffled by the Swiss mapping in the manual as well. In Nigel Cliffe's post above there is a link at the bottom of the page to his blog. He has done a couple of pages describing how it works with a couple of examples. I followed that and it all became clear. As he said it is a very powerful tool, and once you "get it" it is very easy to use.

Nigel L

Thanks for that Lenny and will look at Nigel’s blog later.  Just to add a further comment as it may be simpler to resolve than I thought…..having checked the list of function/sounds (as set up)  on the F keys on the powercab, I noticed that F10 and F20 are both linked to function outputs, F10 to 1 and 2 and F20 to 3 and 4.  So….I wired the cab lights one to Function output 1 and one to Function output 3.  This partially works in that I can now switch the cab lights on and off independently using F10 and F20, and they change with the direction if both are on. But when they are on the head code and tail lights go off!  Is this a simple CV tweak or am I back to Swiss mapping?! 

2 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

I was baffled by the Swiss mapping in the manual as well. In Nigel Cliffe's post above there is a link at the bottom of the page to his blog. He has done a couple of pages describing how it works with a couple of examples. I followed that and it all became clear. As he said it is a very powerful tool, and once you "get it" it is very easy to use.

Thanks, but the blog page does refer to the DecoderPro pages for Zimo.  And, I don't think those for the "large" decoders such as the MX695 have been updated to cover all the Swiss Mapping stuff I wrote for the "small" decoders.  

I re-wrote the DecoderPro pane for Zimo small decoders so it works correctly.   But as I have no large decoders to test against, I didn't tackle the files for the "large" decoders.     (And in the process made sense of the garbage in the English translation of the Zimo manual, it seems to have missed a few key sentences/paragraphs from the German version). 

58 minutes ago, Robertm3110 said:

......... I noticed that F10 and F20 are both linked to function outputs, F10 to 1 and 2 and F20 to 3 and 4.  So….I wired the cab lights one to Function output 1 and one to Function output 3.  This partially works in that I can now switch the cab lights on and off independently using F10 and F20, and they change with the direction if both are on. But when they are on the head code and tail lights go off!  Is this a simple CV tweak or am I back to Swiss mapping?! 

Depends what was done in the original Zimo file.  Without reading it all in, or having a full set of CV's, we're all guessing what might be in there....  

There are multiple places in the Zimo CV list where a function output could be made "directional".  

You're getting into the situation where you either need a lot of spare time, or a full set of CVs from the supplier of the sound decoders, or a software tool to read all the CVs into one place to look at them (either a Zimo programming device, or a computer to your DCC system and DecoderPro).   

- Nigel

This used to be 'pinned'.

Before you start. It is vital to know the current position before any remapping is undertaken, but is especially imortant with Swiss Mapping since there are so many possibilities, some with knock-on effects whcih you might not anticipate.

No need to panic, though. CV8 = 8 will reset all CVs back to sound project defaults.

There have been developments and extensions to SM since this was written, but the basic principles still apply.

Someone may be able to advise you if we know from where the sound project originated and which version you have.  Please also let us know the current values in CV105 to CV110.

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Nigel

Did you know that the MX Decoder Manual was updated at the end of April this year?

MX-small-decoders_EN.pdf (zimo.at)

The MS updates has just been issued a few days ago

MS Sound-Decoder Manual (zimo.at)

The "large scale decoders" manual (MX 695, 696, 697 & 699) is showing 30-11-2021

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-large-scale_decoders_EN.pdf

MX-large-scale_decoders_EN.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thanks for further comments, latterly those from Paul…I found the earlier comments useful and slowly getting my head round the process here.  Will have a trial on this and as you say if all else fails then CV8=8 to remedy it. Cant answer the question on the CVs you mention as not at home but will check on return. 

Paul, thanks.  No opportunity to look at  this today and busy most of tomorrow.  I will get back to you on this as I want to understand this, and will cover your question on CVs. At the moment when F10 is engaged to turn on the cab light, then when I set the direction to forwards the head code light goes out. The same applies to the other cab when F20 is engaged. if I turn off the cab lights the head code and tail lights work as they should, and reverse when direction is changed 

• 2 weeks later...