Removing Heljan decals

I am trying to remove the sub-sector markings & running numbers from a Heljan 86. I have tried Revell & Humbrol enamel thinners (which seem to be effective for Hornby/Bachmann) but neither have worked.

I would rather not try T cut or brasso because these can leave white residue & I don't want to damage the paint beneath.

Is there anything which will work for Heljan's finish?

7 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

I have successfully used methylated spirit lightly rubbed with a cotton bud in the past, but the trick is not to rub too hard. Using this method managed to remove the XP64 red panels from the Heljan model of D1733.

Meths...Excellent. I am not sure why I didn't think of that.

Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm not sure if Heljan have changed their printing but Meths won't even begin to shift it.

This happens. Many years ago I used Modelstrip paste to completely remove numbers and logos on a Lima Large Logo Blue 50043 - they left not a trace on the underlying blue. Just recently I tried the same on a Lima LLB 73105 - the numbers went (with a little extra work, I think the paste is 'getting on a bit') but it didn't touch the logos at all. Knocked my intention to model E6018 back a bit......I've had to get the paint out 🙄!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slight word of caution, I’ve had success with the sharpie method on Heljan loco’s but the last one I tried (latest blue class 27) it started to take off the paintwork as well as the numbers. Always seems a bit hit and  miss with Heljan but sharpies are probably the best bet but can still go wrong!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1