Class 73 sounds.

Paul_C

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I like Legomanbiffo's sounds on a LokSound V5..... DC Kits does it for either the Hornby (ex Lima) Railroad version (8-PIN) or the Dapol version (21-Pin). I currently have a Hornby one fitted with an 8-PIN LokSound V4 with Legomanbiffo sounds, and it's a fantastic sound project, with the ability to swap between Electric and Diesel at will whilst stationary or on the move, just like the real thing. No connection btw, just a very happy customer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Hornby will have a bi-mode Class 73 sound decoder out in January. The one I have on test is very good.

Hi, do you know / are you permitted to say if Hornby plan to start supply of the existing sound project TTS chips again such as class 37 etc and can we expect any new classes in addition to the 73 ?

Many thanks

Chris

On 16/12/2022 at 17:31, Chrisr40 said:

Hi, do you know / are you permitted to say if Hornby plan to start supply of the existing sound project TTS chips again such as class 37 etc and can we expect any new classes in addition to the 73 ?

Many thanks

Chris

Listen out for their 2023 range announcements in early Jan. There will be plenty of Classes made available including new stuff - e.g. Hornby recently recorded the Flirt at Norwich, so that one will follow the loco into production.

More than that I cannot say in a public forum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Listen out for their 2023 range announcements in early Jan. There will be plenty of Classes made available including new stuff - e.g. Hornby recently recorded the Flirt at Norwich, so that one will follow the loco into production.

More than that I cannot say in a public forum.

Great to hear thank you

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2022 at 15:13, RAF96 said:

Hornby will have a bi-mode Class 73 sound decoder out in January. The one I have on test is very good.

Pity “their” 73 doesn’t run on Code75 rail due to the Lima pizza cutter wheels. No one told Hornby that 2000 - 2023 happened, sadly.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, FranksLad said:

Pity “their” 73 doesn’t run on Code75 rail due to the Lima pizza cutter wheels. No one told Hornby that 2000 - 2023 happened, sadly.

Put the Hornby chip in a Dapol version with an 8 pin to 21 pin adaptor then. 

24 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Put the Hornby chip in a Dapol version with an 8 pin to 21 pin adaptor then. 

That would work. Just the awful pickups and intermittent “connected through fresh air” lighting to fix on the Dapol one then………

Please Heljan, give us a 4mm 73.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FranksLad said:

That would work. Just the awful pickups and intermittent “connected through fresh air” lighting to fix on the Dapol one then………

Please Heljan, give us a 4mm 73.

Maybe Hornby 2023 range ?

Continuing the original quaestion: I have one class 73 (Lima body on Hornby chassis) with Howes sounds on an older LokSound v3.5. That has a couple of white LEDs wired in as well to represent the third rail flashes. The sounds are quite good, within the limits of the 100 ohm speakers available (I have two in parallel), but the electric to diesel engine changeover cannot be done on the move.

I also have a legomanbiffo LokSound v4 in a Dapol loco, and that also is very good. I haven't wired any LEDs in (yet), but that is on the cards. I haven't had too much issue with the pickups, but I do keep in mind that I may have to do something about them in the future. The range of speakers available for the v4 and v5 ESU decoders is much wider than the old v3.5. The diesel to electric or electric to diesel can be done convincingly while on the move with this one.

On 05/01/2023 at 14:06, Chrisr40 said:

Maybe Hornby 2023 range ?

The Dapol 73 needs the Non Conductive oil/grease cleaning off the bearings and replacing with conductive oil or grease,  then they run OK.

SEE:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144546737402?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=144546737402&targetid=1405062617979&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046326&poi=&campaignid=17218284410&mkgroupid=142217514411&rlsatarget=pla-1405062617979&abcId=9300867&merchantid=118935604&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItvWutOnA_AIVh8vtCh0D7A-MEAQYCCABEgKHf_D_BwE

Charlie (Legomanbiffo-dc kits)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 73/0s (otherwise known as the JAs) were built to the hastings gauge and sound wise they were the same as the 73/1s (JBs) they were slightly different electrically and slower (80 mph) and the JAs had the ability to heat stock off diesel (while stationary only) 

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1