Hornby (Tri-ang) R1285M Crash Train set

GWR-fan

Arriving just in time for Christmas and barely three days after purchasing,  the Crash Train set came today as a surprise as I was not anticipating delivery until next week.  I am not a collector but a tinge of nostalgia tempted me with this set.  Apart from an "O" gauge clockwork trainset received for Christmas circa-1957-58 as a child,  I never received any new model trains.  It seemed at the time that secondhand was good enough.  The recent arrival of the Victorian trainset and this set is more like compensation to me for missing out on new toys when a child.

The set is nothing special but does put a smile on my face,  with the period Tri-ang packaging satisfying my nostalgia.  

• RMweb Premium

These Hornby nostalgia items are a niche product and not for everyone, but they're very nicely done and there is something really very charming about them. I can certainly see the appeal and why some will buy them and be very happy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A very nice set

But I'm having problems with the locomotive not running well .it's very noisy and stops and starts it doesn't run smoothly .the motor is very rough sounding 

I have other Hornby railroad 060 locos running much better on the layout 

Has anyone else had trouble with this locomotive from the set ?

I’ve tried running in and cleaning the wheels and a very small drop of model oil still no luck 

19 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

A very nice set

But I'm having problems with the locomotive not running well .it's very noisy and stops and starts it doesn't run smoothly .the motor is very rough sounding 

I have other Hornby railroad 060 locos running much better on the layout 

Has anyone else had trouble with this locomotive from the set ?

I’ve tried running in and cleaning the wheels and a very small drop of model oil still no luck 

Just got mine out to try, after sitting in the attic for 6 weeks. I think it’s a super set, really well done and presented. However, the loco thinks it’s a kangaroo! Extreme jerking leaps. Looks like a systematic build issue. (I would guess the worm/cog is deformed) The loco will be going back! I checked my other S&DJR jinty, very smooth runner. 

10 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Just got mine out to try, after sitting in the attic for 6 weeks. I think it’s a super set, really well done and presented. However, the loco thinks it’s a kangaroo! Extreme jerking leaps. Looks like a systematic build issue. (I would guess the worm/cog is deformed) The loco will be going back! I checked my other S&DJR jinty, very smooth runner. 

yes I’ve found the same thing with my one.

having removed the body it looks very cheaply and poorly made

.looks like there’s been some cost cutting compared to the previous releases of the 060 locomotives