Question about a Brecon and Merthyr joint line near Merthyr

Hi all,

I'm considering various layout ideas for a planned pre-grouping layout in EM gauge, and in particular looking at areas where a larger and smaller company shared facilities or lines. One idea that's caught my attention is that of a fictitious terminus branching off of one the LNWR and B&M shared lines, perhaps to serve an invented racecourse and gasworks. 

I've come across some conflicting information online about a specific section of line, however - this page suggests the curving line close to Merthyr was also shared with the Rhymney Railway, while this one  suggests that it was only LNWR and B&M. 

Does anyone know where I might be able to find more information about which of these is the case, or if they were both true at different times? 

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The RCH Diagram books also lists all the running powers, whether they were in use or not, and for what types of traffic.

The Dowlias Cae Harris line and the Quakers Yard to Merthyr line were joint GWR/RR. The former would not affect things, but the latter worked into Merthyr High Street over the GWR (ex Vale of Neath) route from Joint Line Junction.

Quite what the goods traffic arrangements were at Merthyr for the Rhymney I have never investigated. 

However, according to the 1915 RCH Junction Diagrams volume the Rhymney had running powers over three sections of LNWR line but none were exercised

But if by the "curved line" you mean from Morlais Junction round to Merthyr, the the RR was not a party.

Possibly the confusion has come about because there was an LNWR/RR joint line further east from Rhymney to Nantybwch .

But why let mere facts get in the way of a good layout idea!

I shall take this up with the relevant WRRC person to ensure that the map on the website is correct.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
Corrected
  • Like 3

Thanks for the help all, seems like a case of the LNWR diagram just being wrong in this case. Slightly related follow-up question: when I wrote the original question, I thought I had seen two locations where there were joint LNWR/B&M lines, but now I look at the 1904 RCH diagrams again I can only see the line around Merthyr.

Is there another line (maybe built / joint-ified later) that was also shared between the two companies, or did I imagine it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can see from the 1916 RCH book there were no other joint lines between the two companies.

The B&M had running powers over part of the ADR, and the LNWR had running powers over three sections  of the B&M:

Dowlais Ivor Junction to Dowlais station (merchandise, horses and carriages)

Dowlais Top Junction to Dowlais Top station (merchandise)

(by arrangement)

Dowlais Top Junction to Fochriw Siding (merchandise)

I am not sure whether the "by arrangement" applies to the line above or the line below.

But Rule 1 applies

I have alerted the EWRRC Line Superintendent for the LNWR about the error in the map.

Happy New Year

Jonathan

• Like 1