OO9 point motors

It sounds silly, but I have not anything much to do with OO9 railways except collecting the models!

I am now planning on building a layout using the Peco SL-E495, etc main line turnouts, but they look completely different to OO gauge (16.5mm) turnouts, as there are two long 'bars' projecting from the tie bar area of the plastic sleepers.

I could not detect a hole in the centre of the tie bar for an operating rod moved by an ordinary solenoid motor underneath a baseboard, so how do I operate the turnout?

I would like the option of a surface-mounted motor if possible, but the usual Hornby or Peco side-mounted surface point motors wouldn't fit, would they?

I have searched the Peco website for ages, but all I find are point motors for OO gauge trackwork, not OO9.

Could someone please enlighten me?

Thank you,

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Peco's point motors fit OO9 and  N Gauge track as well as OO gauge.

The point motor is mounted slightly differently as the hole in the tie-bar is on the outside of the rail, rather than the centre. There are actually two holes, on by each running line.

If mounting the standard PL-10 solenoid motor directly to the track be aware that it's effectively mounted off-centre from what you're used to with OO gauge. The tabs in the centre and one end are used, rather than just the outer pairs.

The Peco Technical Advice Bureau should have instructions (assuming they're not provided with the point motors).

Steven B.

Thank you, Steven B! I have looked and looked on the Peco website, but could find nothing but adverts for all their products, which might be good for Peco, but not any help for their customers! I would like to use their red twistlock point motors, in which case I can do all the wiring for the point motor above the baseboard before 'twisting' the motor onto its mounts below.

I am going to use the DCC Concepts brilliant analog ADS-8sx solenoid motor control/CDU/push button/LED indicator/frog control for 8 turnouts, if I am able to use push-buttons(?) to operate the solenoid motor.

I definitely want LEDs to indicate the point throw, and to change the frog polarity, as I will be using Peco SL-E495 and SL-E496 points which are large radius points rather than the much tighter points. 
My Heljan Lynton & Barnstaple 2-6-2T locos are supposed to be able to negotiate 12" radius curves, but curves of that tight radius would look ridiculous, and I'm not even thinking about L&B coaches.

My BIG layout in my garage loft is O gauge finescale, DCC sound on everything, but this proposed OO9 layout will be quite small, probably all on a 4ft x 8ft board on two levels. I am going to keep my radii to 14" minimum, so it should(!) just fit on the baseboard, and I can play trains (well, TEST RUN!) my trains in my study before coming to bed, rather than being up in the garage loft. 
Anyway, that's the plan!

Thank you for your help.

Bill