Replacement pin-point wheelsets for Tri-Ang TC passenger stock?

RailandyOz

I am seeking suggestions for available commercial pin-point-axle 10.5mm dia wheelsets with deep flanges, as replacements for the original sleeved plastic wheelsets with stub axles as found on Transcontinental Series 1 coaches. I now once again (what are 60 years between friends?) have a running Tri-Ang layout of (laboriously-but-successfully) restored Super 4 track. I am planning to replace the sad and unround original sleeved plastic coach wheels with metal pin-point wheelsets, running in brass bearings to be fitted into the original open-ended axleboxes. I will be turning my own bearings, so the axle length over pin-points is arbitrary and can be reasonably accommodated in my bearing plan, probably within the range of 23-26mm.

A few tests with "modern" minimally-flanged replacement wheelsets have shown that successful passage through the Super 4 point flangeways needs flanges of at least 1mm. I have some old larger-diameter Lima disc coarse-flanged wheelsets that do the job nicely for 4-wheel freight stock, but now I need 10.5mm wheelsets for the coaching stock with flanges of >=1mm, and not this new-fangled RP25 stuff. So I am open to any coarse suggestions....

All I can think of offhand are Dublo bogie wheels or the smaller Rivarossi rolling stock wheels. The former are solid backed pseudo-spoked, but this is unlikely to be noticeable behind the thick metal of Tri-ang bogie frames and the latter are metal tyred with plastic centres. Unfortunately both are obsolete and getting hard to obtain.

Peco used to do nylon replacement wheels for Tri-ang, but these are now like hen's teeth and, intended for conversion to 'scale', could be too fine for Super 4 in any case.

3 hours ago, 33C said:

Would the bogies/wheels on the Triang Freightliner flats be helpful?

They would, as they are the same as used on the TC Mk2 stock. But beware, ones made after the introduction of System 6 track will have finer scale wheels which may not run through Super 4 pointwork reliably. 

I'm facing the same problem myself but in respect of the later container flats, hence my reply. 

Edited by GoingUnderground