The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Has this window sagged?

Nick C

• RMweb Gold

As I know we've got a few buildings experts on here...

One of the window frames in our house looks to me like it has dropped slightly at one end. We phoned the firm who installed it (early 2016, for the previous owner of the house) and they came this morning and said that it hasn't, it's just the trim that needs re-fixing (and the handle replacing, which fell off in his hand!). He says it can't have dropped as it'll be packed underneath and bolted to the wall.

I'm still not convinced however - the gap at the top looks new, and the windowsill itself looks like it's been forced down slightly.

There is a definite draft from the gap on the right between the trim and the wall. The window itself opens and closes fine.

Is he talking rubbish? Do I need to get a second opinion (there's another local Window fitter who seems to have a good reputation)? Or am I worrying over nothing?

20230110_105829a.jpg.6ddf70d473df4aaafc01c0c909b56826.jpg20230110_105850.jpg.fefaf42e3b809bd567483963881017ef.jpg20230110_105823.jpg.0714e940cc6bc997785de5bd6c762175.jpg

Is it an older house without a proper lintel?  In that case the window may be trying to support the brickwork above - usual sign is a triangle of brickwork that has settled above the window, leaving a crack in the mortar in the shape of an inverted V.  

The photos suggest the closed window isn't seated correctly on the draught excluder in the frame.    

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Is it an older house without a proper lintel?  In that case the window may be trying to support the brickwork above - usual sign is a triangle of brickwork that has settled above the window, leaving a crack in the mortar in the shape of an inverted V.  

The photos suggest the closed window isn't seated correctly on the draught excluder in the frame.    

As far as I can see there aren't any bricks above the window - it's the first floor and immediately above it is the soffit (and presumably a beam to support the roof trusses, but I can't see that)

The window isn't quite shut in the picture, it does seem to open and close happily.

Is there a drain outside the window? Have you got water build up/ not running away, within 2 metres of the exterior wall? Could be something as simple as a rotten packing piece behind the top facia. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 33C said:

Is there a drain outside the window? Have you got water build up/ not running away, within 2 metres of the exterior wall? Could be something as simple as a rotten packing piece behind the top facia. 

There's a flat extension roof below it, but the wall immediately below the window is an odd one - brick on the inside, tile-hung on the outside (1960's build) - I'm not sure what's in the middle!

I've not noticed any water buildup around it.

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

There's a flat extension roof below it, but the wall immediately below the window is an odd one - brick on the inside, tile-hung on the outside (1960's build) - I'm not sure what's in the middle!

I've not noticed any water buildup around it.

Just checked mine, they look the same as yours! But, I know what's behind them. Old scrap wood for the spacers! These are due for replacement soon, which means the frames will come out. My windows /doors all open normally. My concern was about a collapsed drain, which happened to a neighbour, and didn't show up until the groundwater levelled out and was seeping under the house.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If you open the window can you see the bolts/screws going into the wall through the frame? A lot of firms just fit the windows in place and held with expanding foam. I had to demand mine were screwed in. Might be worth a second opinion, especially considering the present cost of heating.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s just the trims, the window looks fine, if it had ‘sagged’ you’d have to ask what was above it to create enough force to do so, the fact it opens and closes ok means it’s sitting where it was when fitted. 
If it’s a first floor window the wall plate above is on the inner course of brick/block so the window won’t be carrying any weight. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If you open the window can you see the bolts/screws going into the wall through the frame? A lot of firms just fit the windows in place and held with expanding foam. I had to demand mine were screwed in. Might be worth a second opinion, especially considering the present cost of heating.

Bob

Thanks - I don't see a bolt there, no - he suggested it would be behind the hinge. The bathroom window (which was done at the same time, and effectively forms the other end of the installation) clearly has one. 

I've just spoken to another local firm (who happen to be just round the corner, so I could pop in and show them the photos) and they suggested letting him do his suggested fix - which might then lead to further discoveries when the trim is removed - and then pushing back against the warranty/fensa etc if that doesn't fix it. Rather understandably they said they could look at it, but would have to charge as it's not one of their installations.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

It’s just the trims, the window looks fine, if it had ‘sagged’ you’d have to ask what was above it to create enough force to do so, the fact it opens and closes ok means it’s sitting where it was when fitted. 
If it’s a first floor window the wall plate above is on the inner course of brick/block so the window won’t be carrying any weight. 

Thank you, that's reassuring!