Repaint of Bachmann 45xx

• RMweb Premium

I'd received through an modelling friend a while back a second hand 45xx Small Prairie (My second example of these nice wee models).   I've been meaning to repaint it for a while from plain BR black with "Cycling Lion" to mid 1930s GWR Green which is my modelling period.   Just got around to it with few days of work.

Process of work, 1.Roughly masked and sprayed first coat of Humbrol 104,  Then had a problem with my spray gun compressor so hand painted a second coat.  2.  Hand Painted smokebox and footplate with a mix of matt black, silver and a dash of red oxide mixed.   Added a similar but slightly darker grey coat to cab roof.  4.  Added new etched "Kings Cross" brand numberplates,  (No.4525).  5.  HMRS transfers x 2 for the mid 30s GWR roundel,  plus No 4525 on headstock. 6. added a painted crew to cab plus picked out some cab details in brass.   Finally dry brushed some track colour to front and rear headstocks and around the back of the bunker and added a lamp to the front left iron. (class K.  ordinary goods or mineral stopping at intermediate stations).    The photos show the process including a contrast with my  other 45xx.

20230107_122807.jpg

20230107_123856.jpg

20230107_171208.jpg

20230107_171216.jpg

20230111_130633.jpg

20230111_130654.jpg

20230111_130709.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Good stuff, but an unfortunate choice of number. 4525 never received curved dropdown sections in the footplate.

Miss Prism,  I actually checked online the 45xx number sequence before I did this but as I already had in my spares the unused plates for 4525, I chose to add them anyway.   When you look at the loco from above when its running on my layout its extremely hard to actually tell if the loco has curved or straight section drop plates,  or at least it is with my eyesight!  As I live in New Zealand it would have taken me weeks to order etched plates from the UK.  They aren't easily obtainable locally.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the front end issue noted the rear buffer beam on any 45xx below 4555 would have the extended fill in piece from the extended bunker. Te Bachmann model only really covers 4555 to 4574. Also the sand boxes were different. At that time they were supported on a vertical bracket. It seems during the war years the arrangement was changed presumably to make them easier to access for filling.

Mark

Edited by Mark

• 3 weeks later...