Hobbytrain IC2020 Cab Car - A Bit Rubbish?

SBB1

Hi all,

Apologies for the Friday afternoon moan! I recently picked up a couple of Hobbytrain's IC2020 coaches, including the cab car. I've seen a thread on here from a while back and another on a German-language forum talking about some issues, but I just wanted to see if my experience matches up completely with others. I've come across the following:

- Constant derailing on curves/track joints when leading (presumably it'll really hate gradient transitions as well)

- Lights theoretically DCC-controllable (?) but cab glued shut, preventing practical access

- All lights either constantly on or completely off in DCC operation, regardless of direction of travel

- General quality control issues (white paint splashed over silver details, red cab end unevenly painted, various little chips in plastic etc.)

I'd appreciate other members' thoughts. Have I been unlucky?  Is there something I'm missing re: DCC?

I should say that it's not all bad - some are the details are superb - but it feels like a potentially great model has been let down by poor execution. 

Andrew

1 hour ago, SBB1 said:

Hi all,

Apologies for the Friday afternoon moan! I recently picked up a couple of Hobbytrain's IC2020 coaches, including the cab car. I've seen a thread on here from a while back and another on a German-language forum talking about some issues, but I just wanted to see if my experience matches up completely with others. I've come across the following:

- Constant derailing on curves/track joints when leading (presumably it'll really hate gradient transitions as well)

- Lights theoretically DCC-controllable (?) but cab glued shut, preventing practical access

- All lights either constantly on or completely off in DCC operation, regardless of direction of travel

- General quality control issues (white paint splashed over silver details, red cab end unevenly painted, various little chips in plastic etc.)

I'd appreciate other members' thoughts. Have I been unlucky?  Is there something I'm missing re: DCC?

I should say that it's not all bad - some are the details are superb - but it feels like a potentially great model has been let down by poor execution. 

Andrew

Yep, sounds about right! I sent mine back for most of those reasons. Poor paint finish quality, cab looked like it had been badly glued together, had a lean on it which looked awful on straight sections.

My replacement that came was much better though. 

I'll be doing a video soon on these vehicles on my YouTube channel. I have other gripes with these too!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Yep, sounds about right! I sent mine back for most of those reasons. Poor paint finish quality, cab looked like it had been badly glued together, had a lean on it which looked awful on straight sections.

My replacement that came was much better though. 

I'll be doing a video soon on these vehicles on my YouTube channel. I have other gripes with these too!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Appreciate the reply Jeremy, and I'm sorry to hear you've had a similar experience. I've requested a refund, as I've found another online that looks to be in better condition from the pictures. At least if the DCC/lighting/running quality can't be resolved immediately, it'll be a nicer model to look at.

Looking forward to your video on the subject!

I've been lucky with the visual appearance and finish quality of my IC2020's but the Bt really leaves a lot to be desired. If I remember correctly it was supposed  to be fitted with a decoder socket when first advertised but that doesn't appear to have materialised. I haven't stripped mine down to confirm but I believe the internal electrical arrangement is exactly the same as the old model and as such responds on DCC exactly as you state. In fact the IC2020 Bt is actually a step backwards because it only collects power on one bogie whereas the old model collected on both.

Edited by Gottardo
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Gottardo said:

I've been lucky with the visual appearance and finish quality of my IC2020's but the Bt really leaves a lot to be desired. If I remember correctly it was supposed  to be fitted with a decoder socket when first advertised but that doesn't appear to have materialised. I haven't stripped mine down to confirm but I believe the internal electrical arrangement is exactly the same as the old model and as such responds on DCC exactly as you state. In fact the IC2020 Bt is actually a step backwards because it only collects power on one bogie whereas the old model collected on both.

Thank you for your insight John - such a shame that a potentially great model falls short like this, especially when they had a good base to improve upon from the original. I've got a replacement on order, so hopefully it'll be an improvement in terms of aesthetics!

8 hours ago, Gottardo said:

Both Lemke and a number of the German dealers are saying that a new batch of Dostos are imminent and Modellbahnshop Lippe, on their website, make a point of saying that the Bt does not have a digital interface.

It's possible that I got the IC2020 slightly mixed up with the new unreleased Fleischmann EW IV Bt when it comes to DCC. The latter definitely looks like it will be chipped, whereas it is as you say for the former: possibly planned but not implemented or advertised.

Andrew

• Thanks 1