O gauge Heljan Class 26

mikeford2002uk

Evening all

My version of a tatty Eastfield class 26 from the recent Heljan O gauge model. Yellow paint through the black and blue paint through the grey! Railmatch paints, Tamiya weathering powders and Railtec transfers.

Lovely model, although not without its issues - the screw coupling broke at a shackle and to fit a (better) Dapol replacement was quite a job! Also the roof fan is very temperamental, as though the feed voltage is too low or the motor too weak (Heljan are aware) 

Finally, this is the first O gauge model I've had with the pin interface for the ESU Loksound V5 XL decoder and although it is mentioned in the instructions for the model, it takes a leap of faith, on a £250 chip, to snip off the two extra pins that prevent the decoder seating correctly!

Mike

20230115_101358.jpg

20230115_214258.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Lovely looking loco Mike and nice job with the weathering.  That's disappointing regarding the fan/coupling though, particularly since I guess most O gauge modellers will rely upon using that screw coupling.  I am about to 'press the button' on one of the new 27s, which will be my first 'full size' (I have an 08) model.  Taking into account the high cost I'd expect very high quality, what are your thoughts on other aspects of the model?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Solo said:

Lovely looking loco Mike and nice job with the weathering.  That's disappointing regarding the fan/coupling though, particularly since I guess most O gauge modellers will rely upon using that screw coupling.  I am about to 'press the button' on one of the new 27s, which will be my first 'full size' (I have an 08) model.  Taking into account the high cost I'd expect very high quality, what are your thoughts on other aspects of the model?

Andy

Heljan are pretty solid weighty models and generally run well (in fact arguably over engineered with 2 motors).

I'm not sure you should generalise given every model is unique but if there was a blanket complaint, Heljan quite often get basic shapes wrong. The class 33 (which i have) cab windows are not quite right and I suspect the 26/27 will be similar but i'm not that familiar with the prototype and the models look good to my less than perfectionists eyes; others may feel differently.

Ultimately only you can decide that either way - no model is ever spot on and it depends which bits you are most familiar with, whether it bothers you.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Heljan are pretty solid weighty models and generally run well (in fact arguably over engineered with 2 motors).

I'm not sure you should generalise given every model is unique but if there was a blanket complaint, Heljan quite often get basic shapes wrong. The class 33 (which i have) cab windows are not quite right and I suspect the 26/27 will be similar but i'm not that familiar with the prototype and the models look good to my less than perfectionists eyes; others may feel differently.

Ultimately only you can decide that either way - no model is ever spot on and it depends which bits you are most familiar with, whether it bothers you.

Yes, the running qualities on Heljan locos have always impressed (I’ve had some of their ‘OO’ stuff) and in terms of playability I guess that’s the most important thing.

Upon first seeing one of their ‘O’ gauge class 25s (possibly the earliest incarnation) I remember thinking ‘that doesn’t look quite right’ but I’m very familiar with class 27s in particular and for me these new ones look spot on.  Think I’ll take the plunge and get a blue one….

• Like 1

As said above the running quality of my 26 is very good on DCC - almost silent at low speeds and plenty of pulling power as well. To me the most recent models which Ben Jones has cast an eye over look more convincing than say the 25/3 and 60 models. Hopefully you won't be disappointed with your 27 as well. I've got a Scottish 47/4  underway (I know of the window shelf and roof detail "Issues" but still like the model and being a Co-Co it really pulls! Roll on the Mk2s and hope they look better than the Mk1s do 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 22:23, mikeford2002uk said:

Evening all

My version of a tatty Eastfield class 26 from the recent Heljan O gauge model. Yellow paint through the black and blue paint through the grey! Railmatch paints, Tamiya weathering powders and Railtec transfers.

Lovely model, although not without its issues - the screw coupling broke at a shackle and to fit a (better) Dapol replacement was quite a job! Also the roof fan is very temperamental, as though the feed voltage is too low or the motor too weak (Heljan are aware) 

Finally, this is the first O gauge model I've had with the pin interface for the ESU Loksound V5 XL decoder and although it is mentioned in the instructions for the model, it takes a leap of faith, on a £250 chip, to snip off the two extra pins that prevent the decoder seating correctly!

Mike

20230115_101358.jpg

20230115_214258.jpg

How did you fit the Ploughs? The instruction sheet diagram is contradictory. 

TIA

On 16/01/2023 at 22:37, mikeford2002uk said:

As said above the running quality of my 26 is very good on DCC - almost silent at low speeds and plenty of pulling power as well. To me the most recent models which Ben Jones has cast an eye over look more convincing than say the 25/3 and 60 models. Hopefully you won't be disappointed with your 27 as well. I've got a Scottish 47/4  underway (I know of the window shelf and roof detail "Issues" but still like the model and being a Co-Co it really pulls! Roll on the Mk2s and hope they look better than the Mk1s do 

Got mine from Tower yesterday. Weathered 26025. Lovely model. 
Just an issue of how to power it! And what system. 
What current does it draw? Mine will be basic on a 4ft length of track pulling no stock. 

CS

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chickensoup said:

What current does it draw? Mine will be basic on a 4ft length of track pulling no stock.

I tested my Heljan Warship with a second hand H&M controller bought for £10 on eBay and it was fine running light. They would draw more current pulling stock obviously - people often remove a motor to keep it down.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, chickensoup said:

Just an issue of how to power it! And what system. 

Hi ChickenSoup,

I used a GMC-100MO Controller for running in my recently acquired 26 and 27. Each loco got 30-40 mins in each direction at about half speed. I'll eventually convert them to DCC using Zimo chips when available. Running in was done on a Direct Train Spares Rolling Road. The controller was absolutely fine, the rolling road less so with some wear being evident, possibly due to the weight of the locos. I bought the controller from Amazon a while ago - quite a bit cheaper than buying direct if I recall correctly. I've packed the locos away so can't measure the current for you - sorry.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10
  • Thanks 1

Sorry tried to measure the running current but as soon as introduce my multimeter in series to the circuit it blocks the dcc signal and the motor stops - I suspect the absolute maximum will be 2 amp and likely to be much less except when starting a heavy load.

The snowplough is indeed a different design to the instruction but fits up the two slots behind the bufferbeam but in front of the metal chassis block

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mikeford2002uk said:

Sorry tried to measure the running current but as soon as introduce my multimeter in series to the circuit it blocks the dcc signal and the motor stops - I suspect the absolute maximum will be 2 amp and likely to be much less except when starting a heavy load.

The snowplough is indeed a different design to the instruction but fits up the two slots behind the bufferbeam but in front of the metal chassis block

Thanks very much for that. Heljan graphics need an update. 

CS

• 2 months later...

Didn’t realise that Heljan supplied these with the spare parts bag. They look ok.

Annoyingly I had misread the blurb and assumed that this had an ESU 5L socket, rather than a 5XL.  The 5L Lokpilot bought to go with this wont fit!

I have sourced a Loksound 5XL with sound project and matching speaker, however I feel a little aggrieved that Heljan have only offered a socket which (currently) appears only supported by one manufacturer without the option for a power/function only decoder.

Looking at the pcb, there appears not to be much slack in the wiring, so stripping out and hard wiring would be a pain. There is no wiring diagram supplied with the model.

As Jenny Kirk’s video review stated, the hoses/cables which loop around the N/S buffers unplug from the chassis, but are well glued into the body shell. As the body is a tight fit, it is very difficult to remove this without stressing the plastic hoses, and one of mine succumbed - I see Jenny had the same problem…. I will replace using the end fittings from those supplied, but with fine black wire to enable the body to be removed without trauma in future.

Whilst the cable/hose issue is annoying, I feel the DCC socket is a retrograde step, and less ‘DCC friendly’ than the screw terminal pcb’s of prior models.  If Heljan provided a correct and user friendly wiring plan, then wiring in a screw terminal decoder is not a major hardship.  ESU offer a 5XL Loksound decoder with screw terminals, so this decoder would remain an option.  If and when a wider array of standard large scale plug and play decoders are available, the change to a plug and play socket might be more appropriate.

The Heljan/Hattons steamers and Class 17 have 5L sockets, but at least these have non-sound decoder options available (although just by ESU?)*.  

I wonder if this is a factor in lower sales of the same, and subsequent discounts (yes I know the Gresleys had wider issues).  It is of note that Rails are already discounting the 26/27.  I assume the 58 and 73 will follow suit.

Neal

*The outstanding Minerva-imported Chrezo 140C also has a 5L socket, but benefits from the Loksound 5L having a very good pre-installed sound project.

On 24/04/2023 at 18:20, neal said:

Didn’t realise that Heljan supplied these with the spare parts bag. They look ok.

Annoyingly I had misread the blurb and assumed that this had an ESU 5L socket, rather than a 5XL.  The 5L Lokpilot bought to go with this wont fit!

I have sourced a Loksound 5XL with sound project and matching speaker, however I feel a little aggrieved that Heljan have only offered a socket which (currently) appears only supported by one manufacturer without the option for a power/function only decoder.

Looking at the pcb, there appears not to be much slack in the wiring, so stripping out and hard wiring would be a pain. There is no wiring diagram supplied with the model.

As Jenny Kirk’s video review stated, the hoses/cables which loop around the N/S buffers unplug from the chassis, but are well glued into the body shell. As the body is a tight fit, it is very difficult to remove this without stressing the plastic hoses, and one of mine succumbed - I see Jenny had the same problem…. I will replace using the end fittings from those supplied, but with fine black wire to enable the body to be removed without trauma in future.

Whilst the cable/hose issue is annoying, I feel the DCC socket is a retrograde step, and less ‘DCC friendly’ than the screw terminal pcb’s of prior models.  If Heljan provided a correct and user friendly wiring plan, then wiring in a screw terminal decoder is not a major hardship.  ESU offer a 5XL Loksound decoder with screw terminals, so this decoder would remain an option.  If and when a wider array of standard large scale plug and play decoders are available, the change to a plug and play socket might be more appropriate.

The Heljan/Hattons steamers and Class 17 have 5L sockets, but at least these have non-sound decoder options available (although just by ESU?)*.  

I wonder if this is a factor in lower sales of the same, and subsequent discounts (yes I know the Gresleys had wider issues).  It is of note that Rails are already discounting the 26/27.  I assume the 58 and 73 will follow suit.

Neal

*The outstanding Minerva-imported Chrezo 140C also has a 5L socket, but benefits from the Loksound 5L having a very good pre-installed sound project.

I think the problem is there is no set standard for the larger scale decoders like there is for say NEM682 for 6 pin, Next18 or Plux22 etc. So by aligning themselves to the ESU XL decoders they are by necessity making their models incompatible with other manufacturers decoders.

No easy fix there if people want plug and play rather than decoders with screw terminals.

• 3 months later...

WARNING TO OWNERS OF Heljan O GAUGE CLASS 26 AND 27 OWNERS!

In addition to the relatively minor, though annoying problems discussed here, I have discovered a more serious deficiency with my Class 26, which will affect the 27 as well. It could result in disaster! Now, many of you may well carry your models with two hands, one on top and one underneath, as I will from now on. However, I picked up a class 26 by the body from out of a box where I'd stood it while it dried from weathering. Luckily, at a height of only about 2 cm, the chassis completely parted company from the body.  Thankfully it couldn't fall far enough to do any damage. 

I had an inkling of the cause, having been inside another model of the same class and noticed that one of the screw housing units,  into which the body screws locate and which slide onto pillars on the inside of the body, had come unglued and I epoxied it back in and added some epoxy to the others as well. But it didn't occur to me to check the other models! And they all gave way simultaneously when I picked up the other model I'd weathered. As far as I can tell, they are originally held in place by a small amount of glue. How that is expected to hold 2.5kg I can't imagine. I'm not even certain that epoxy will not give way at some point, so now I will make sure that I support the model from underneath as soon as possible when picking it up by the body.

Maybe those of you with more experience already do this. Lesson learned, and hopefully I'll remember!  I have notified Heljan, but haven't found any reports that anyone else has had this experience. 

John.

• Thanks 1