gap in track layout in anyrail

daryll

• RMweb Premium

No - if this is a plan for actually building something, you just need to see what happens when you actually put the track pieces together - there may be enough wriggle room for the gap to be unnoticeable.  So just leave it for now.

But if you need it to be "perfect" without gaps for a simulation, try this - which works in XTrackCad, so might in Anyrail.  Close the circled gap by moving the crossing and the SL-100 to its right to their right, so the gap now appears between the crossing and the SL-89 to its left.  XTC will not do a "join two tracks" across the gap (it sees the tracks as parallel but misaligned), but if you start a bit of flexi from one side of the gap and make it the right length, it will let you "connect" it on the other side (although in close up you can still see the misalignment).  This won't work across the circled gap, as the misalignment there is too great for the "forced connect" to cope with.

Best of luck ....

Edited by Chimer

The gap indicates that the two tracks are not aligning correctly. Possibly the geometry of the points does not allow this configuration.

Try 'disconnecting' all points and then start again by 'connecting' the the SL-89 to the SL80 slip. Then see if the other points will 'connect'.

It's best to sort this out before trying to lay track.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty sure that that configuration won't work with standard unmodified Peco points as there is no point the same length as the double slip (and long crossing.) (9;9")   the 5ft is pretty close (10.1")  You need a 3ft radius (8.6") point and a stupidly short (1.3") bit of track or chop a bit off (0.2") the end of the 5ft point  with the dremel and a cutting disc to get it to the same length as the slip .   The stupidly short bit of track won't stay flat and the cutting disc will probably loosen the rails in the plastic sleeper base and ruin the point anyway unless you are very very careful..

Edited by DCB
  • Agree 1

I have done exactly this - take some flexitrack, cut it to approximate length, remove the individual rail sections, file to correct length if necessary, then solder to either of the planned adjacent sections and then replace as many sleepers as possible onto the soldered ends. If there is a gap between turnouts why would you cut them. I did this on my previous layout in several places without any trouble, the main thing is to ensure that the soldered extension, which has been inserted into a fishplate, does indeed remain flat during the process.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2023 at 10:10, RobinofLoxley said:

I have done exactly this - take some flexitrack, cut it to approximate length, remove the individual rail sections, file to correct length if necessary, then solder to either of the planned adjacent sections and then replace as many sleepers as possible onto the soldered ends. If there is a gap between turnouts why would you cut them. I did this on my previous layout in several places without any trouble, the main thing is to ensure that the soldered extension, which has been inserted into a fishplate, does indeed remain flat during the process.

Areal world solution to the situation,i often play on anyrail but its just getting used to driving it to solve things like this buy cutting up flexytrack and keeping the of cut for other bits of drawing.