Helix Query

Newmodeller96

• RMweb Gold

If you plan to use the upper station as a terminus, then unless you reverse trains somewhere, you can’t actually get on to the helix. And then when they come off the helix, again, it’s impossible to go straight into the terminus roads, without reversing.

That wouldn’t be for me, but maybe you’ve compromised on that? Especially if largely multiple units?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If the existing part is imposing difficult compromises on the rest of the layout design and/or making operations difficult then it might pay off in the long run to remove it and redesign everything with the low level storage in mind. I guess that's what Robin means.

BTW: Since you have no reversing loops or triangles (and it's difficult to see how such things would ever fit) then Multiple Units will always face the same way on your main scenic circuits, on the incline and in the storage yard. That means that you can set them up so that the driving unit never propels up the incline. That removes part of the propelling problem (if there is one).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

If the existing part is imposing difficult compromises on the rest of the layout design and/or making operations difficult then it might pay off in the long run to remove it and redesign everything with the low level storage in mind. I guess that's what Robin means.

BTW: Since you have no reversing loops or triangles (and it's difficult to see how such things would ever fit) then Multiple Units will always face the same way on your main scenic circuits, on the incline and in the storage yard. That means that you can set them up so that the driving unit never propels up the incline. That removes part of the propelling problem (if there is one).

I think I am happy with how the layout feels now. The current gives me a good range of main line and branch line operations.

agreed with the ideas about the MUs on the helix.