U20 6-wheeled Luggage Composite

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2023 at 21:03, Prometheus said:

A nice job. I’m currently doing one of these too but hope to use a Brassmasters Cleminson chassis under mine.

tony

Thoroughly recommend the Brassmasters Cleminson. Building the first one takes a little time until you're used to them, but they work so smoothly and they do exactly what the prototype design does, getting 6-wheelers round curves you wouldn't think they could handle!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The only problem I found with the Clemison chassis is that the springs move relative to the solebars. This is made worse if there are J hangers or similar connecting them.

I initially used the Brassmasters chassis for my Rhymney 6-wheelers and they worked fine, but ended up changing to a centre axle on inside bearings and room to move sideways a bit.

Jonathan

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The only problem I found with the Clemison chassis is that the springs move relative to the solebars. This is made worse if there are J hangers or similar connecting them.

Yes, there are compromises I grant you but the running is very good.

7 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Yes, there are compromises I grant you but the running is very good.

And it's that good running that justifies them for me.

However, on my build, as I kept the floor and step/sole bar moulding of the Triang coach, whilst the Brassmasters unit fitted very neatly inside, it left insufficient room for cosmetic W-iron/springs/axle box mouldings - they would protrude beyond the widest part of the coach body and that, obviously, was unacceptable.

Instead, I used parts from two very heavily adapted Ratio 4-wheel scrap chassis with the outer wheelsets running in brass bearing-fitted axle boxes and the inner wheel, minus its pin-point axle ends, floating in a plastic card unit which allows side-play and just a little radial movement. It runs extremely effectively and the centre axle can retain its flanges. Photo below shows this at an early stage.

52705401449_83890530d9.jpg

Tony

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a very neat job Tony - here's one I put under a Mike Trice 3D printed GNR Luggage Brake:

1483055103_ECJS-GNR_D303_Brake_MTrice-body_BrssMstrs-Cleminson_XI18-II19(56).JPG.172073b65d37b290b9d54cdc87ff7053.JPG

It required some pretty careful removal of material inside the solebar+footboard assemblies to allow the outer axles to pivot enough for the tight curves I run, but it works beautifully. Wheels are Alan Gibson OO gauge Mansells.

I think the pivoting of the outer axles is a brilliant design feature of the prototype, as it allows them to follow the direction of travel much better than axles that stay perpendicular and there's less tendency to climb up and off.

@RosiesBoss - hope it's Ok to add this to your thread: it's relevant to six-wheelers... 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1