Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2023 Motorsport (non-F1) Thread

Invicta Informant

This weekend there is NASCAR from Martinsville, Virginia, Australian Supercars from Surfers Paradise, Queensland, MotoGP from Buriram, Thailand, and the second-to-last round of the season for the WRC, the Central European Rally, with stages taking place in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Kalle Rovanperä and Jonne Halttunen have been confirmed as two time champions in the WRC despite there being 1 round left in Japan next month.

This being after they finished ahead of Elfyn Evans in the Central European Rally.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2023 at 16:45, LNERandBR said:

Kalle Rovanperä and Jonne Halttunen have been confirmed as two time champions in the WRC despite there being 1 round left in Japan next month.

This being after they finished ahead of Elfyn Evans in the Central European Rally.

Also saw on Autosport's website that Roope Korhonen, who had already won the WRC3 category, was forced out of the rally when German police banned his car over the "validity of its registration plates". Almost reminds me of an incident years ago when competitors in the British round of the WRC got speeding fines.

Edited by Invicta Informant
Grammar
  • Like 1

The World Endurance Championship has concluded with the crew of the No.8 Toyota, Sébastien Buemi, Brendon Hartley, and Ryō Hirakawa, winning the final race of the season and the Drivers' Championship in the Hypercar category. In LMP2, the No. 41 WRT entry, which consisted of Rui Andrade, Louis Delétraz, and Robert Kubica, won their category in both the race and championship. The GTE championship was won by the No. 33 Corvette of Nicky Catsburg, Ben Keating, and Nicolás Varrone, but the final race of the season was won by the all-female crew No. 85 Iron Dames entry of Sarah Bovy, Rahel Frey, and Michelle Gatting.

The LMP2 category has now been retired from the WEC, but they will still appear at the Le Mans 24 Hours and in the North American-based IMSA series. The GTE cars (formerly known as GT2) will be replaced by GT3 spec cars for next year, opening the door for more manufactures to run their cars in the series (McLaren and Mercedes being two of them). Hypercar will see BMW, Alpine, Lamborghini, and Isotta Fraschini join the series, but Glickenhaus will be withdrawing as they don't have the budget and other resources to develop their car unlike the other manufacturers. They can't even race in the IMSA, as being a small boutique manufacturer, they do not produce 2,500 cars a year.

The 2024 WEC calendar looks like this:

Qatar 1812 km (Losail) - 2nd March

6 Hours of Imola - 21st April

6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps - 11th May

24 Hours of Le Mans - 15th-16th June

6 Hours of São Paulo (Interlagos) - 14th July

Lone Star Le Mans (Circuit of the Americas) - 1st September

6 Hours of Fuji - 15th September

8 Hours of Bahrain - 2nd November

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Invicta Informant said:

The World Endurance Championship

With the introduction of Hypercar category endurance racing has had a huge boost this year. I have enjoyed all the races I have watched this year, particularly Le Mans. With all the new manufactures entering next year it can only improve further. I hope the UK hosts a WEC race some time soon. The World Sportscar Cahmpionship races held in the 1960 and 70s in the UK were great.

Thanks Invicta Informant for all the info this year - good job.

Kind regards and enjoy Camelot while it lasts...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks Invicta Informant for all the info this year - good job.

No problem. The WEC is in a more rosy shape when compared to other top levels of motorsport. I hope they learn from the past and try to stop it becoming expensive (look at what happened to Group C, the GT1 homologation specials of the 1990s, the Super Touring era of the BTCC, DTM (twice), WTCC, etc.). And also try their best to keep the balance-of-performance as fair as possible.

It would be good to have a round at Silverstone, especially with Aston Martin expected to join the series in 2025 in Hypercar.

46 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards and enjoy Camelot while it lasts...

It is a Monty Python reference (in lieu of my actual location). I have not even built Camelot yet. I have got a Metcalfe castle kit to build when I get the opportunity/right frame of mind.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend just gone, both MotoGP and the Australian Supercars championships have come to their conclusions. In Supercars, Brodie Kostecki wins the Drivers' Championship and his team, Erebus Motorsport, also wins that championship. In MotoGP, Francesco Bagnaia successfully defended the Riders' Championship, Ducati wins Constructors' Title (700 points; KTM were second, but way, way back on 373), while the satellite Pramac Racing outfit beat the works Ducati team to win the Teams' Championship.

Also the entry list for the 2024 World Endurance Championship has been revealed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2023 at 18:37, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Some sad news, Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran has died aged 56, following a heart attack.

He won the Indy 500 in 2003 and the CART World Series in 2000 and 2001.

Also seen today (31st December) that Cale Yarborough, the NASCAR Cup Series Champion in 1976, 1977, and 1978, has passed away aged 84. He was also one of the participants in the infamous fight with Donnie & Bobby Allison at the end of 1979 Daytona 500, the first NASCAR race to be broadcast live on television in its entirety.

• Friendly/supportive 1