Problem with chip?

Multigauge

Evening, fairly new to DCC so still finding my way around. 

Bought an 8 pin gaugemaster ruby to fit to my Hornby 08 today. It worked fine, but I could not get the chip seated in a way to put the body on properly. Alas the wires are not long enough to reach to the nose end. 

Not wishing to faff about and take it back, I found my Heljan 33 also needed an 8 pin so popped it in there. However, despite my best efforts, whilst it fitted fine, the loco didn't work. Conscious the the 33 doesn't have clear marking which way the chip goes round, I swapped it round but still no luck. Popped the chip back in the 08 and it's now not working in that either. 

Is it possible I've blown the chip? And if so how? This could turn in to an even more costly hobby that I thought at this rate..

I have tested other DCC locos on the same track and they work fine. 

Edited by Multigauge
Word added to ake better sense

Fitting an 8 pin chip the wrong way around should not damage the decoder, but the lights will not work & the loco direction will be wrong. Orange should be pin 1, usually marked on the socket.

Heljan locos are known to be current-hungry. Some have overloaded Hornby decoders & caused them to fail but a Ruby should have a high enough output to be safe from that.

Have you tried resetting the decoder? The easy procedure varies between systems but usually trying to write 8 to CV8 will reset it (CV8 is read-only but trying to write 8 triggers a reset).

• Informative/Useful 1