Recommendations for arched stone road bridges (OO)

Hello all,

My current layout design (OO) is to be set in Cornwall in the late stages of the hydraulic era (thinking late Summer 1971, as most hydraulics are still on the rails, 22s are being withdrawn, and 25s are simultaneously being introduced). I would really love to add in an arched stone two-lane roadway bridge (road-over-rail) that has a wide enough arch to accomodate two tracks. I've found a lovely picture taken by Mike Roach here in the mid-80s of a beautiful stretch of rail by Treesmill with what appears to be exactly the kind of bridge to which I am referring. The bridge is stone and the arch is rather short in height but rather broad. I know the picture does obscure a bit of the bridge, and I'm not sure if the bridge would have a single arch or two smaller arches on either side (opinions welcomed!). Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can find a model bridge in OO/HO scale that looks similar to this? I would be most grateful.

• RMweb Gold

I think the scalescenes bridge would fit the bill.  The kit is flexible for width and I actually built mine as two arches to span two different lines.  And you can download it in stone (ashlar)

https://scalescenes.com/product/r011-arched-bridge/

It's recommended.

Ian

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been pleased with my first attempt at Townstreet castings on Timsbury Bottom - go to page 5 - old fashioned ordering but excellent service. I lowered mine by about 5mm after checking clearances.

https://townstreetuk.co.uk/brochures/catalogue2.pdf

Bridge parts on about P40

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

I think you should be looking at either stone arches or brick abutments with Iron girders for Cornwall.  The bridge you quote sort of sits on the sides of the cutting with a wide flattish arch nothing like the scale scenes product.  Its almost looks as if it is an 0 gauge bridge cut down to fit an 00 layout, but as built I doubt anything heavier than 10 tons was ever envisaged crossing it. and its still there 150 years on. Probably has 38 tonners now  The line through Cornwall started West of Truro was partly standard gauge or a bit less was connected  east to the Tamar and Plymouth, west to Penzance and was a right Hotch Potch of styles. It became Broad Gauge circa 1875 (?) and Standard  in 1892, and was eventually double tracked from the Tamar to Penzance during the early 20th century, 

I don't recall seeing anything like the https://scalescenes.com/product/r011-arched-bridge/  In Cornwall   Its too modern! 

The GWR Under bridges West of Newton Abbott  are either more modern (post 1900) replacements or have a newer section beside the 1840s/50s original.  Iron for Down Line stone for up or vice versa. Its a very interesting place for railway bridge enthusiasts.  Very different to the later lines.